Elasticsearch 5.6.9 and x-pack monitoring

The elasticsearch is running version 5.6.9 I like to monitor cluster with x-pack monitoring (free features given in later versions). It is complaining about licenses. Can it be turned off without upgrading cluster to 6 or 7?

Hi @shradhatx,

What error about licensing are you seeing? What license do you currently have applied? Can you share the output of:

curl -XGET "localhost:9200/_xpack/license" -u elastic

I included the -u elastic on the assumption that security is still enabled.

curl: (7) Failed connect to localhost:9200; Connection refused

I am not interested in x-pack security. At this point want to try monitoring.

oh wait a min. Elastic is running on another ip.
curl -XGET "ip:9200/_xpack/license" -u elastic

It asks for password for elastic. I gave 'logmein' and it returns
{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"No endpoint or operation is available at [license]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"No endpoint or operation is available at [license]"},"status":400}
@chrisronline thanks Chris for your reply. whats the best way to monitor 5.6.9 cluster with x-pack? Upgrade to 6.x may require some time

My bad, wrong endpoint. Try: curl -XGET "ip:9200/_xpack" -u elastic

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"No endpoint or operation is available at [_xpack]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"No endpoint or operation is available at [_xpack]"},"status":400}

Do you have x-pack installed? If not, see https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.6/installing-xpack-es.html

Yes, i have it installed

log [19:17:08.955] [info][status][plugin:elasticsearch@5.6.9] Status changed from yellow to green - Kibana index ready
log [19:17:08.968] [warning][license][xpack] License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch

That looks like a Kibana log.

Can you run this command in your ES install directory and return the results? ./bin/elasticsearch-plugin list

search-guard-5

@chrisronline - There are two more plugins for
our application

@chrisronline appreciate your response. Is it even possible to get a trial license for x-pack 5.6.9
We are not using search-guard. It can be uninstalled. What's your suggestion with x-pack on 5.6.9 There is a possibility of buying the Gold support for paid feature when we have demoed to stakeholders.

@chrisronline appreciate an answer please. Is it possible to have x-pack monitoring in v5?

Yes, you can install x-pack and use monitoring in v5.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.6/monitoring-settings.html

@chrisronline thank you. I got it working. I see it gives a trial license for a month. Is it possible to get x-pack monitoring basic features extended beyond a month?

@chrisronline - can the ES nodes(5.6.9 with x-pack plugin) send metrics to ES monitoring node on 7.3 so we can get dashboards on Kibana 7.3. Will the basic monitoring features then work without requiring license?

In general, the monitoring cluster and the clusters being monitored should be running the same version of the stack. A monitoring cluster cannot monitor production clusters running newer versions of the stack. If necessary, the monitoring cluster can monitor production clusters running the latest release of the previous major version.

Taken from How monitoring works | Elastic Stack Overview [7.4] | Elastic

@chrisronline thanks. Monitoring cluster 6.x monitoring production cluster running 5.x -- thats what we want - perfect. Another question related to planning for Gold subscription for monitoring reasons - is the subscription by the #node of monitoring cluster or monitored cluster or flat fee? If you want to answer this separately - can you or someone contact please?

Please use the contact form for all questions around subscriptions: https://www.elastic.co/subscriptions#contact-us

@chrisronline I setup an elastic monitoring node with ES v5.6.9 and kibana v5.6.9 to monitor 3 node ES v5.6.9 3 cluster with x-pack.monitoring exporters, setting in elasticsearch.yml

xpack.monitoring.enabled: false
xpack.monitoring.collection.indices: volume_*
xpack.monitoring.exporters.my_remote.type: http
xpack.monitoring.exporters.my_remote.host: ["ip of monitoring es node"]
xpack.security.enabled: false

The monitoring node elasticsearch.yml has -
xpack.security.enabled: false
xpack.watcher.enabled: false
xpack.monitoring.enabled: true
xpack.monitoring.history.duration: 2d

kibana.yml has
xpack.monitoring.elasticsearch.url: "ip of monitoring node: 9200"

The Monitoring dashboard does not show the remote 3 node cluster status. It only shows the status of the monitoring cluster/node.

What's missing or not set correctly in the yml?

I set the on the monitoring ES
_all/_settings?preserve_existing=true' -d '{ "index.blocks.write" : "false"
}’
just because I was getting this error on kibana dashboard

It looks like monitoring is disabled. You'll also need to enable collection too.

Please see Monitoring settings in Elasticsearch | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic