Elasticsearch 6 and JDK9 GA

JDK9 GA has finally arrived and my question is wether it will be fully supported by upcoming Elasticsearch 6?

At this time we are not supporting JDK 9. We will at some point, just not now.

Why not?

As far as i know Lucene 7 as well as netty is already JDK9 compliant. Java 8 has reached "End of Public Updates for Oracle JDK 8" (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html) so it's a little bit disappointing that ES 6 will not support JDK9 right now.

JDK 8 has not reached end of public updates, that will not happen until a year from now in September 2018.

Moreover, Elasticsearch 6.0.0 is not even GA yet so I think being disappointed is premature. It is likely that we will declare some version of 5.6.x as supported on JDK 9, and we will do the same for 6.x. However, JDK 9 only went GA this week. While we have been testing JDK 9 in our CI for the last 18 months, we want the dust to settle a little bit on the JDK 9 release before declaring it supported.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

We are announcing that we intend for Elasticsearch 6.2.0 to support JDK 9. I want to add some caveats:

4 Likes