Elasticsearch Datehistogram Interval

I am creating a date histogram aggregation like this, where min and max of extended_bounds are unix epoch values.

"aggs": {
        "0": {
          "date_histogram": {
            "field": "@timestamp",
            "fixed_interval": "30s",
            "time_zone": "Asia/Kolkata",
            "extended_bounds": {
              "min": 1656419435318,
              "max": 1656420335318
            }   
          }
        }
      }

Now I am using "30s" as hard-coded value for fixed_interval value.

How can this value be dynamically generated depending on the duration of the bounds (min & max of extended bounds), if I want same number of buckets for each duration? Is there any function available from any kibana plugins for this purpose?

For example if I want 30 buckets:

(a) for 1 hour duration, fixed_interval will be 2 mins

(b) for 24 hours, fixed_interval will be 45 mins

I can write code of own to do this calculation, but any existing api would be helpful.

Also, when to use calendar_interval in place of fixed_interval. I have checked kibana lens generated queries, where depending of search duration fixed_interval or calendar_interval is used.

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

I don't think there is a way to do this automatically unfortunately, it's not something I have seen a lot of people ask for. It might make an interesting feature request if you wanted to raise it?

To quote the docs - Date histogram aggregation | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic;

When configuring a date histogram aggregation, the interval can be specified in two manners: calendar-aware time intervals, and fixed time intervals.

Calendar-aware intervals understand that daylight savings changes the length of specific days, months have different amounts of days, and leap seconds can be tacked onto a particular year.

Fixed intervals are, by contrast, always multiples of SI units and do not change based on calendaring context.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.