Elasticsearch startup error with 0.0.0.0

I am trying to set up single node elasticsearch on RHEL virtual machine. It is running fine with default configuration of 127.0.0.1, but its not available outside the VM. when I changed the network.host "0.0.0.0" its not starting up.Initially it gave error getting error while creating max file descriptors [65000] for elasticsearch process is too low, increase to at least [65536]. I have changed the /etc/security/limits.conf file increase the file descriptors. But now its failing in another boot strap check which is system call filters failed to install; check the logs and fix your configuration or disable system call. I am confused, why this happens only with different bind address than 127.0.0.1

Because bootstrap checks are enforced when nodes are remotely accessible unless you set discovery.type: single-node. Here's a blog post with more details too.

1 Like

Thanks David for that clarification, so how can I resolve this system call filter check failure ? Also please note that I am not trying to setup cluster, I just need to set up on single machine but as this is VM in a cloud, I need to access it via external IP address, so I had to change network.host to other than loop back address

You can bypass the bootstrap checks and form a single-node cluster by setting discovery.type: single-node.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.