Error after Kibana install

I installed Kibana on windows by extracting it to plugins folder under elasticsearch (6.2.2). Later I installed x-pack for kibana using the command line :

C:\Program Files\Elastic\Elasticsearch\6.2.2\plugins\kibana-6.2.2-windows-x86_64\bin\install x-pack

The install completed successfully.

However after this install whenever I run elasticsearch I get the error indicating that the file plugin-descriptor.properties was not found. I verified that the file was indeed not present in the kibana root folder. The file is also not included in the zip file downloaded for installation. Any ideas on fixing this error are greatly welcome. Following is the error.

C:\Program Files\Elastic\Elasticsearch\6.2.2\bin>elasticsearch.exe
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
[2018-03-02T08:52:56,807][WARN ][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler] [MOHD_2015_PC] uncaught exception in thread [main]
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.BootstrapException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Program Files\Elastic\Elasticsearch\6.2.2\plugins\kibana-6.2.2-windows-x86_64\plugin-descriptor.properties

Hello,

The plugins folder in Elasticsearch is not the proper place to put Kibana. Elasticsearch is looking for a specific file/directory format in it's plugins folder. You can fix this easily by just moving Kibana from the plugins folder to a standalone folder, for example: C:\Program Files\Elastic\Kibana

This is because Kibana is a standalone app and not an Elasticsearch Plugin.
You also need to install x-pack for Elasticsearch as well, if you want x-pack for Kibana to work with the ES instance.

Thanks a lot Marius. I moved it and it worked. Also thanks for clearing my understanding. Greatly appreciate your help.

1 Like

I enjoy it when more people using Windows use our products, so feel free to always drop by if you have more questions.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.