Error: Payload content length greater than maximum allowed

I just updated from Kibana 5.4.3 to 6.1.3. It asks me to set a default index pattern. As soon as I click on one of my index patterns I get the following error:

Error: Payload content length greater than maximum allowed: 2097152

Why does this happen? I have already doubled the value for server.maxPayloadBytes but it doesn't help. Why is the payload maximum exceeded when I click on an index pattern?

1 Like

Somewhere around this time range we switched to using a different endpoint to update fields, and it sounds like the response is larger now. The more fields in an index pattern the more likely this error is to happen. If you want to debug you can open dev tools and inspect calls to /api/index-patterns to check size. If not bumping the maximum payload size higher should be fine, it's at 2mb now which isn't great but the Kibana server should be able to handle it.

The large request is kibana creating a copy of your index pattern so we can add metadata to it. This is done in the browser currently, but should be done on the server(or not at all) and it's on our radar

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.