ES: failed to execute bulk item (index) index {[shakespeare]

(Edited: replaced pictures from outputs by formated outputs)

Hi all, first of all: I greatly appreciate it that you want to take your time to see what is going wrong in my project.
I'm new to Elasticsearch and Kibana and I already experimented a very little bit with POST/GET/PUT-queries in ES (very basic stuff as I am new to query-language, http, and everything). Today I experimented a whole day to make exactly this tutorial to work. (See also this link).

Even though I did exactly what is done in the tutorial, I failed, I don't get it to work how it is supposed to be and I have no clue about what's going wrong & how I can solve this problem to be able to start experimenting more with Elasticsearch.

When I open Elasticsearch and execute this in Windows Powershell:

PS C:\Users\Jurgen>  Invoke-RestMethod "http://localhost:9200/shakespeare/_bulk?pretty" -Method Post -ContentType 'application/x-ndjson' -InFile "shakespeare.json"

After waiting like 2 - 3 minutes I get this message in Windows Powershell:

took errors items
   ---- ------ -----
1023791   True {@{index=}, @{index=}, @{index=}, @{index=}...}

Then, when I open my Elasticsearch screen I see many lines like these, repeating, but for different lines in the json-file, the output is extremely long, only showing a part of it:

[2020-04-18T17:52:12,066][DEBUG][o.e.a.a.i.m.p.TransportPutMappingAction] [LAPTOP-Jurgen] failed to put mappings on indices [[[shakespeare/fIJuCa76RN62H72Ga8OKUQ]]], type [line]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Rejecting mapping update to [shakespeare] as the final mapping would have more than 1 type: [_doc, line]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.metadata.MetaDataMappingService$PutMappingExecutor.applyRequest(MetaDataMappingService.java:272) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.metadata.MetaDataMappingService$PutMappingExecutor.execute(MetaDataMappingService.java:238) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.executeTasks(MasterService.java:702) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.calculateTaskOutputs(MasterService.java:324) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.runTasks(MasterService.java:219) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.access$000(MasterService.java:73) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService$Batcher.run(MasterService.java:151) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:150) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:188) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:633) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:252) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:215) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:830) [?:?]
[2020-04-18T17:52:12,066][DEBUG][o.e.a.b.TransportShardBulkAction] [LAPTOP-Jurgen] [shakespeare][0] failed to execute bulk item (index) index {[shakespeare][line][111395], source[{"line_id":111396,"play_name":"A Winters Tale","speech_number":38,"line_number":"","speaker":"LEONTES","text_entry":"Exeunt"}]}
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Rejecting mapping update to [shakespeare] as the final mapping would have more than 1 type: [_doc, line]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.metadata.MetaDataMappingService$PutMappingExecutor.applyRequest(MetaDataMappingService.java:272) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.metadata.MetaDataMappingService$PutMappingExecutor.execute(MetaDataMappingService.java:238) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.executeTasks(MasterService.java:702) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.calculateTaskOutputs(MasterService.java:324) ~[elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.runTasks(MasterService.java:219) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService.access$000(MasterService.java:73) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.MasterService$Batcher.run(MasterService.java:151) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher.runIfNotProcessed(TaskBatcher.java:150) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.cluster.service.TaskBatcher$BatchedTask.run(TaskBatcher.java:188) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:633) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.runAndClean(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:252) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor$TieBreakingPrioritizedRunnable.run(PrioritizedEsThreadPoolExecutor.java:215) [elasticsearch-7.6.2.jar:7.6.2]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:830) [?:?]

Then, when I go to to "http://localhost:5601" > Dev Tools and I execute following Kibana input:

GET /shakespeare/_search?q=Romeo

Kibana returns me this output:

{
  "took" : 28,
  "timed_out" : false,
  "_shards" : {
    "total" : 1,
    "successful" : 1,
    "skipped" : 0,
    "failed" : 0
  },
  "hits" : {
    "total" : {
      "value" : 0,
      "relation" : "eq"
    },
    "max_score" : null,
    "hits" : [ ]
  }
}

I expect it to be a very newbie-mistake but by far, googling my error messages didn't really get me anywhere and I also tried different ways of indexing the body of a json-file in Elasticsearch, e.g. using "Postman" instead of PowerShell but that also didn't really work...

Thanks for having a look at this.

Please don't post images of text as they are hard to read, may not display correctly for everyone, and are not searchable.

Instead, paste the text and format it with </> icon or pairs of triple backticks (```), and check the preview window to make sure it's properly formatted before posting it. This makes it more likely that your question will receive a useful answer.

It would be great if you could update your post to solve this.

Thank you for your feedback. I edited my post to solve that problem.

The error indicates that there's a line type inside the json bulk file I think.

Could you replace all "type": "line" by "type": "_doc"?
And start again the bulk import?

This is an example of a few lines from the json-file.

{"index":{"_index":"shakespeare","_type":"act","_id":0}}
{"line_id":1,"play_name":"Henry IV","speech_number":"","line_number":"","speaker":"","text_entry":"ACT I"}
{"index":{"_index":"shakespeare","_type":"scene","_id":1}}
{"line_id":2,"play_name":"Henry IV","speech_number":"","line_number":"","speaker":"","text_entry":"SCENE I. London. The palace."}
{"index":{"_index":"shakespeare","_type":"line","_id":2}}
{"line_id":3,"play_name":"Henry IV","speech_number":"","line_number":"","speaker":"","text_entry":"Enter KING HENRY, LORD JOHN OF LANCASTER, the EARL of WESTMORELAND, SIR WALTER BLUNT, and others"}
{"index":{"_index":"shakespeare","_type":"line","_id":3}}

And this is how I creatted the mapping in Kibana, before doing the bulk import:

PUT /shakespeare
{
  "mappings": {
    "properties": {
    "speaker": {"type": "keyword"},
    "play_name": {"type": "keyword"},
    "line_id": {"type": "integer"},
    "speech_number": {"type": "integer"}
    }
  }
}

Thank you for taking a look at it but I don't really get which party I'll actualy need to change?

Lines like:

"_type":"act"

Should be changed always with

"_type":"_doc"

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.