Explore: How to associate APM tracking with logs

I have an idea now, I want to associate APM tracking with its corresponding log, but I don't know if there is any good way, very distressed.

What I am looking for is that when I look at the RPC method of a link trace, I click on it and I can see the corresponding business log information (with trace_id).

@axw I want to assemble Elastic APM into a full-link system in business. I don't need to manually search for it, but jump or display related information directly, thank you.

Have you seen the blog post I wrote earlier this year, "How to instrument your Go app with the Elastic APM Go agent"? There is a section about integrating logs: https://www.elastic.co/blog/how-to-instrument-your-go-app-with-the-elastic-apm-go-agent#logs

With APM UI 7.3.0+, you can already link from transactions/traces to logs:

Clicking "Show trace logs" will take you to the Logs app, filtered to the selected transaction's trace.

Thanks, I will check it out later.
But we are currently using 6.6.1, it seems that we can't upgrade to 7.3.0 seamlessly?

Not directly from 6.6.1 to 7.3.0. You would need to upgrade from 6.6.1 to 6.8.0, and then from 6.8.0 to 7.3.2. See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elastic-stack/current/upgrading-elastic-stack.html

I am thinking that it will be very troublesome to upgrade the version each time you use a new feature.

In addition, I would like to ask if there is a custom page in es?

Where can I see the latest plan of APM? Because our company is using it, I feel very good. I also want to write an article to recommend to Go developers in the Chinese community.

A custom page for what? Logs? If that's what you mean, there is a Logs app: Observability | Kibana Guide [8.11] | Elastic

That would be great!

I assume by "plan" you're referring to our roadmap? We don't have a public roadmap, as it may change. However, you can find many of our planned features at Issues · elastic/apm · GitHub.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I am testing 7.3.2, but I found that Transactions have no Time spent by span type chart, as follows:

Expected result:

Which version of the Go agent are you using? This feature was added to the Go agent in v1.5.0.

I just used version 1.4.0 and it is now resolved after the upgrade.

I feel that the documentation has a weak description of the version declaration, for example: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elastic-stack/current/apm-highlights.html#_aggregate_service_breakdown_charts, and does not specify the version requirements.

Thanks for the feedback - I agree, this could be clearer. I'll see if we can get this documented, at least for features we add in the future if not this one.

emememem...What should I do if I have multiple loggers?

The call to apm.DefaultTracer.SetLogger is only used for logging what the agent is doing. It's not required for adding trace IDs to logs.

1 Like

I have run successfully, thank you very much for your reply, I will consider promoting the upgrade of the new version and the use of log link tracking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.