Facing Bulk queue rejection on index requests

Hi All,

Stack trace

Error: [es_rejected_execution_exception] rejected execution of org.elasticsearch.transport.TransportService$7@1b3a4fac on EsThreadPoolExecutor[bulk, queue capacity = 1000, org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.EsThreadPoolExecutor@334cd586[Running, pool size = 4, active threads = 4, queued tasks = 1000, completed tasks = 6853221]]
        at respond (/app/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:307:15)
        at checkRespForFailure (/app/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/transport.js:266:7)
        at HttpConnector.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/elasticsearch/src/lib/connectors/http.js:159:7)
        at IncomingMessage.bound (/app/node_modules/elasticsearch/node_modules/lodash/dist/lodash.js:729:21)
        at emitNone (events.js:110:20)
        at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:207:7)
        at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1047:12)
        at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:102:11)
        at process._tickDomainCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:198:9)

What am i doing

I am producing multiple concurrent client.index() requests from my node server to the ingest node

Cluster config

• 1 ingest node (m4.2xl)
  • 3 dedicated master nodes ( t2.small)
  • 6 data nodes ( 15 gb heap, 850Gb ssd nvme) ( i3.xlarge)

index settings

• shard_count = 6
  • replica = 1

Question :confused:

why does the stack trace say the bulk queue is full when i am using the client.index() api ?
what is a good suggestion to handle these failures

if you send a single index request it gets converted to a bulk request internally. If you have many index requests going on, you should batch them together on the client side to not run into this problem.

Hope this helps.

--Alex

1 Like

change the bulk size with es (cpu cores.) and the queue line about bulk size
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/5.4/modules-threadpool.html#modules-threadpool

Changing thread pool size or queue size is just a tradeoff by requiring more Elasticsearch memory to survive this issue longer, but does not solve fundamentlly the underlying problem.

1 Like

thank you Alex, i was able to resolve this issue by using bulk api and throttling the number or requests on the application end

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.