"failed to update expiration time for async-search" in elastic search logs

Hello,

I constantly encounter a problem that throws error failed to update expiration time for async-search in elastichserach cluster application log. Not always but especially when I had haven't query an index for a long time I see the error and abort info next to the dashboard in kibana. Error example

Abort example

In elasticsarch logs it looks like this

After I click refresh, sometimes one another time a few times I got all the dashboard visualizations loaded a the same time.

Between that, I see this error/abort info next to the visualization.

Why is this happening and how can I ensure that all dashboard visualization will load without this error and no need to refresh?

Hi, which version of Kibana are you using?
Could you see the exact content of the error responses from your Network panel?

Sorry, I should have provide this informatio in the first place.
Both Kibana and elastic and all the other thing are all on 7.9.2.

Could you see the exact content of the error responses from your Network panel?

From panel.

From cluster log.

[2020-11-02T16:18:50,787][ERROR][o.e.x.c.a.AsyncResultsService] [node-1] failed to update expiration time for async-search [FkNvcUR0aVpDUjdDQkppVjVqcnpXbWcgY2xJU20tQ2pSdEtuTWd2QmhoNl9BUToxNjM2MzUzMTQ=]
org.elasticsearch.transport.RemoteTransportException: [node-1][ip:9300][indices:data/write/update[s]]
Caused by: org.elasticsearch.index.engine.VersionConflictEngineException: [CoqDtiZCR7CBJiV5jrzWmg]: version conflict, required seqNo [44823], primary term [47]. current document has seqNo [44833] and primary term [47]
        at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.planIndexingAsPrimary(InternalEngine.java:1059) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.indexingStrategyForOperation(InternalEngine.java:1022) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.index.engine.InternalEngine.index(InternalEngine.java:911) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.index(IndexShard.java:819) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.applyIndexOperation(IndexShard.java:791) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.index.shard.IndexShard.applyIndexOperationOnPrimary(IndexShard.java:748) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.executeBulkItemRequest(TransportShardBulkAction.java:274) ~[elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction$2.doRun(TransportShardBulkAction.java:164) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.performOnPrimary(TransportShardBulkAction.java:209) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.dispatchedShardOperationOnPrimary(TransportShardBulkAction.java:116) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.bulk.TransportShardBulkAction.dispatchedShardOperationOnPrimary(TransportShardBulkAction.java:82) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.action.support.replication.TransportWriteAction$1.doRun(TransportWriteAction.java:161) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingAbstractRunnable.doRun(ThreadContext.java:737) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.AbstractRunnable.run(AbstractRunnable.java:37) [elasticsearch-7.9.2.jar:7.9.2]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1130) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:630) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832) [?:?]

But of course a few refreshments It fully loads.

Thank you for the detailed response.
This issue was a known bug of 7.9.2.
If you upgrade to the latest patch version 7.9.3 it should be resolved.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Updating stack resolved the issue. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.