Failing to run on Intellij in debug mode

Hi,

I followed the instruction, provided CONTRIBUTING.md and TESTING.asciidoc, to setup Elasticsearch on Intellij (macOS 10.15.4) . I was able to run it normal mode but I am unable to run it in debug mode.

This worked: ./gradlew run
But failed to run with following error: ./gradlew run --debug-jvm

> Task :distribution:run FAILED
Running elasticsearch in debug mode, node{:distribution:runTask-0} suspending until connected on debugPort 5005
Exec output and error:
| Output for ./bin/elasticsearch-keystore:ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection refused
| ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
| JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [:732]

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':distribution:run'.
> Process 'command './bin/elasticsearch-keystore'' finished with non-zero exit value 2

System Config:

=======================================
Elasticsearch Build Hamster says Hello!
  Gradle Version        : 6.3
  OS Info               : Mac OS X 10.15.4 (x86_64)
  Compiler JDK Version  : 14 (AdoptOpenJDK)
  Compiler java.home    : /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-14.jdk/Contents/Home
  Runtime JDK Version   : 11 (Oracle JDK)
  Runtime java.home     : /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-11.0.4.jdk/Contents/Home
  Gradle JDK Version    : 14 (AdoptOpenJDK)
  Gradle java.home      : /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-14.jdk/Contents/Home
  Random Testing Seed   : FE1157C27A452AC1
  In FIPS 140 mode      : false
=======================================

What am I missing? Is some kind of keystore to setup? I would appreciate your help on this.

Regards,
Amit

May be @MarkVieira could help?

Your debug run configuration in IntelliJ needs two main items configured for it to work well with the :run task.

1. It needs to use "listen" mode instead of the default "attach".
  2. "Auto restart" needs to be enabled.

The config should look something like this:

Importing the project should have set this up for you however.

1 Like

Yes, it was setup though its failing.

You'll need to ensure you launch the IntelliJ debug run configuration before running the :run task.

5 Likes

Thank you mark. I appreciate your help. This is really helped me. The trick is to start Intellij debug before :run.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.