Fatal error when trying to upgrade from Kibana 6.5.0 to 6.7.1 in prep for 7.0

Hi All,

We've been running Elastic 6.5.0 for over six months on RHEL 7.5 servers and with the release of 7.0 I decided it was time to upgrade. The documentation suggested moving to 6.7.x before going to 7.0 to take advantage of the upgrade assistant.

I was using the RPM files to do the upgrade. The ElasticSearch upgrade to 6.7.1 went absolutely fine.

However, when I moved on to upgrade Kibana I got the following message when running the rpm update command:

unpacking of archive failed - cpio: Digest mismatch

We weren't able to get around this error, or find anything much on the internet. I tried rerunning the command with the --nofiledigest option but then got some "bad magic" error instead :frowning:

I then tried to restart Kibana, expecting the original 6.5.0 version to still be available and working.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case and when I start Kibana I now see the following fatal error in the Kibana log file, which I think is stopping Kibana from starting correctly:

{

"type":"error","@timestamp":"2019-04-29T10:57:37Z","tags":["fatal","root"],"pid":12187,"level":"fatal","error":{"message":"type must be a string","name":"Error","stack":"Error: type must be a string\ n at new Worker (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/esqueue/worker.js:43:41)\n at Esqueue.registerWorker (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/ server/lib/esqueue/index.js:64:20)\n at createWorkers (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/create_workers.js:31:28)\n at createQueueFn (/usr/share/kibana/node_modu les/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/create_queue.js:35:5)\n at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/once_per_server.js:30:15\n at memoized (/usr/share/kibana/no de_modules/lodash/index.js:7956:27)\n at Plugin.init [as externalInit] (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/index.js:166:30)\n at \n at process._tickCallback (i nternal/process/next_tick.js:188:7)"},"message":"type must be a string"}

Apologies if the above is an obvious error, but if someone could provide some advice on (1) how to fix my original 6.5.0 Kibana so I can get that going again, and (2) How to resolve the error I saw when running the RPM upgrade to 6.7.1 that would be massively helpful.

ta in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Can you verify the SHA-512 digest of the downloaded file against the digest posted on the downloads page? sha512sum kibana-6.7.1-x86_64.rpm must return the same value as the contents in kibana-6.7.1-x86_64.rpm.sha512. I just tested and they do match on my system.

I wouldn't recommend downgrading if the cluster is already on 6.7.1. You could use the tarball distribution until we figure out what is happening with the RPM.

Thank you,
Jason

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Thanks very much for the quick response. You were spot on - the SHA-512 didn't match from the version I'd downloaded. No idea why, but I downloaded Kibana 6.7.1 RPM again and checked the SHA-512 this time and it matched. Ran the RPM upgrade and it worked first time.

Thanks again for your help - I probably should have thought about checking that myself but didn't expect the download to be bad/corrupt....sorry!!

Regards,
Steve

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.