Kibana 6.3 fatal error (upgrade from 6.2)

I RPM upgraded kibana to 6.3 from 6.2 and am getting a fatal error preventing kibana from starting up:

{"type":"error","@timestamp":"2018-06-13T22:43:49Z","tags":["fatal"],"pid":10211,"level":"fatal","error":{"message":"Multple plugins found with the id "xpack_main":\n - xpack_main at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack\n - xpack_main at /usr/share/kibana/plugins/x-pack","name":"Error","stack":"Error: Multple plugins found with the id "xpack_main":\n - xpack_main at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack\n - xpack_main at /usr/share/kibana/plugins/x-pack\n at MergeMapSubscriber.find$.mergeMap.toArray.mergeMap.allSpecs [as project] (/usr/share/kibana/src/plugin_discovery/find_plugin_specs.js:87:15)\n at MergeMapSubscriber._tryNext (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/operator/mergeMap.ts:125:21)\n at MergeMapSubscriber._next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/operator/mergeMap.ts:115:12)\n at MergeMapSubscriber.Subscriber.next (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:95:12)\n at ToArraySubscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/operator/toArray.ts:38:22)\n at ToArraySubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at MergeMapSubscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/operator/mergeMap.ts:141:24)\n at MergeMapSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at RefCountSubscriber.Subscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:144:22)\n at RefCountSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at Subject.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subject.ts:91:15)\n at ConnectableSubscriber.Subscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:144:22)\n at ConnectableSubscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/observable/ConnectableObservable.ts:82:20)\n at ConnectableSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at DistinctSubscriber.Subscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:144:22)\n at DistinctSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at MergeAllSubscriber.notifyComplete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/operator/mergeAll.ts:106:24)\n at InnerSubscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/InnerSubscriber.ts:26:17)\n at InnerSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at CatchSubscriber.Subscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:144:22)\n at CatchSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at MergeMapSubscriber.notifyComplete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/operator/mergeMap.ts:173:24)\n at InnerSubscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/InnerSubscriber.ts:26:17)\n at InnerSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at CatchSubscriber.Subscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:144:22)\n at CatchSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)\n at MapSubscriber.Subscriber._complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:144:22)\n at MapSubscriber.Subscriber.complete (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/rxjs/src/Subscriber.ts:122:12)"},"message":"Multple plugins found with the id "xpack_main":\n - xpack_main at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack\n - xpack_main at /usr/share/kibana/plugins/x-pack"}

Resolved my own issue by uninstalling kibana (yum / rpm) and deleting the entire /usr/share/kibana directory and resinstalling.

I have a similar issue on Debian.

As far as I can work out, Kibana 6.3.0 comes with x-pack. I guess I should have removed the old x-pack plugin first

When I try to remove the old version now I see

$ ./kibana-plugin remove x-pack
You are using the standard distrbution of Kibana.  Please install the OSS-only distribution to remove X-Pack features.

I will also simply purge old version and reinstall. It's only a test setup so I do not need to worry about stored dashboards or anything like that...

Same issue here on update of Elastic Kibana community edition on a CentOS 7 server.

FATAL Error: Multple plugins found with the id "xpack_main"

The issue is caused by a wrong update order. After stopping the service, we need to first remove x-pack, then update and finally reinstall x-pack, after which the update works ok.

Hi,

I have the same error about Kibana after upgrade from 6.2 to 6.3.

You are using the standard distrbution of Kibana. Please install the OSS-only distribution to remove X-Pack features.

I tryied to stop Kibana and execute /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana-plugin remove x-pack but I have this error.

How can I solve this please ?

Regards,

yum downgrade kibana
/usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana-plugin remove x-pack
yum update kibana
systemctl restart kibana.service

working now

2 Likes

To anyone reading this with similar issues, you don't need to downgrade or uninstall/reinstall. You can simply remove the leftover X-Pack code from the 6.3 codebase.

Assuming you've upgraded to 6.3, all you need to do is:

# For Debian, Kibana is at...
cd /usr/share/kibana
# Remove X-Pack 6.2.4
rm -rf plugins/x-pack
# Now restart Kibana
systemctl restart kibana

Looking at how they remove plugins from Kibana (src/cli_plugin/remove/remove.js) you can do this to remove an old x-pack from Kibana and you're doing it very close the same way bin/kibana-plugin remove handles things.

If you're super paranoid, you can check the X-Pack version from plugins/x-pack/package.json to verify that it's the older version (pre-6.3). X-Pack is bundled, so it doesn't show up or need to be shown in the plugins folder.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.