Getting Auto Password When Setting up Elasticsearch

(Dan Levy) #1

I am trying to run elasticsearch using the instructions here. I call bin/elasticsearch-plugin install x-pack and everything goes smoothly. I then call bin/elasticsearch. When I go to http://localhost:9200, it prompts me for a username and a password (like it should). However, in terminal (I am using a Mac), I never get a success message. It seems like elasticsearch continues to run. If I then run bin/x-pack/setup-passwords autoand nothing happens. Terminal prints out this line last: [2018-02-06T23:16:59,127][INFO ][o.e.c.r.a.AllocationService] [wMwUnP5] Cluster health status changed from [RED] to [GREEN] (reason: [shards started [[.watcher-history-7-2018.02.06][0]] ...]). and then continues running but does not print anything out. How should I proceed to get the password to print out?

(Ioannis Kakavas) #2

You'll need to run bin/x-pack/setup-passwords auto in a different terminal window/tab than the one you run bin/elasticsearch from. The reason is that setup-passwords script needs to connect to the existing Elasticsearch instance to actually setup the passwords. So

1. Open a terminal and run bin/elasticsearch. Leave it running there
  2. Open a new terminal tab/window and run bin/x-pack/setup-passwords auto . Note the passwords that will be generated for the internal users and continue with the instructions from there.

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.