Getting Auto Password When Setting up Elasticsearch

I am trying to run elasticsearch using the instructions here. I call bin/elasticsearch-plugin install x-pack and everything goes smoothly. I then call bin/elasticsearch. When I go to http://localhost:9200, it prompts me for a username and a password (like it should). However, in terminal (I am using a Mac), I never get a success message. It seems like elasticsearch continues to run. If I then run bin/x-pack/setup-passwords autoand nothing happens. Terminal prints out this line last: [2018-02-06T23:16:59,127][INFO ][o.e.c.r.a.AllocationService] [wMwUnP5] Cluster health status changed from [RED] to [GREEN] (reason: [shards started [[.watcher-history-7-2018.02.06][0]] ...]). and then continues running but does not print anything out. How should I proceed to get the password to print out?

You'll need to run bin/x-pack/setup-passwords auto in a different terminal window/tab than the one you run bin/elasticsearch from. The reason is that setup-passwords script needs to connect to the existing Elasticsearch instance to actually setup the passwords. So

1. Open a terminal and run bin/elasticsearch. Leave it running there
  2. Open a new terminal tab/window and run bin/x-pack/setup-passwords auto . Note the passwords that will be generated for the internal users and continue with the instructions from there.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.