Getting mail from all topics just not the ones I'm following

I recently came back to work and before I left I had unsubscribed to all categories so I received no mail during my absense.

Now I'm back and I see that I'm still watching Logstash and Tracking Announcements, Kibana, Security Announcements. I've enabled "Mailing list mode" since I want emails instead of visiting https://discuss.elastic.co.

Now it appears that I receive mail from all Categories, e.g. X-Pack, Elasticsearch, Reporting.

Have I configured something wrong or is the "category filtering" not working in "Mailing list mode"?

Mailing list mode is atomic, only stuff that is suppressed there is muted topics.

The correct thing to do is to "watch" the categories you want but it is a bit tricky to "watch" all the old topics as well.

I tried to mute topics while using Mailing list mode but IIRC it didn't work? I can try again.

I have watched Logstash for a week (and watched two more today) but I still haven't gotten any mail.

Ah! I enabled:

• Send me an email when someone messages me
  • Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic

and mails started to come.
Maybe that should be documented?

usually both of these settings are enabled by default, so in general you
have to actively seek them out to cause the pain.