Getting started with Logstash JDBC Integration on Windows

I'm just beginning my learning process on ELK but from what I've seen, I'd like to learn how to index data from an RDB table, I presume using the Logstash JDBC Integration plugin, so I can start trying to create different "visualizations" in Kibana. All on Windows. I'm so ignorant though and could use some help beyond what I've found to read so far.

I've watched an introductory tutorial on ELK. And I've downloaded Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash and I've managed to start them on Windows. I've even indexed a document from the Elasticsearch Management screen. But that's it.

It seems I must download the JDBC Integration plugin from Github? And if that's true, the web page says to get started I'll need JRuby with the Bundler gem installed? I don't know what those are or what to do with them if I got them, if so, or what to actually download from the Github website page that I found, which I've not used before.

Is there a tutorial or something I can view to get further? I do know the database table I'd like to pull data from and how to access it, I think. I know the SQL I'd use, and I have a JDBC driver jar, but that's it.

Things like the following that I've read make little sense to me yet:

Install vendor JDBC jars - I have the file, what does it mean to install it? The doc says run "./gradlew vendor". Do I substitute the path to my JDBC driver where it says "vendor"?

Update your dependencies with "bundle install"? What dependencies?

Run tests with "bundle exec rspec". What's this all about?

Running your unpublished Plugin in Logstash? What's this about? What is an unpublished Plugin?

Then it says to edit Logstash Gemfile and add the local plugin path, and the example shows using a "gem" command? What's this do? Where is it run? (On Windows.)

Then I see commands to install the plugin for Logstash 2.3 and higher - I have 8.7, I believe, and after it's installed, it says to start Logstash. Those make sense. But not all the stuff prior to that.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Logstash 2.3 is EOL and no longer supported. Please upgrade ASAP.

(This is an automated response from your friendly Elastic bot. Please report this post if you have any suggestions or concerns :elasticheart: )

No, I don't think so. You would only need to do that if you wanted to alter the source code of the integration. The integration is bundled with logstash by default. The output of logstash-plugin.bat list includes

logstash-integration-jdbc
 ├── logstash-input-jdbc
 ├── logstash-filter-jdbc_streaming
 └── logstash-filter-jdbc_static

If there is a JDBC driver for your RDB then you can use a jdbc input to fetch data.

You are correct.

Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.