Guidance on monitoring queries

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie to Elasticsearch and am tasked with monitoring performance of the cluster as well as helping the other developers interpret the overall performance of the indexes. I am looking for guidance on where I might find descriptions for the different fields in the monitoring indexes. Also what is the best way to understand average query elapsed time.

Any help pointing me at educational resources or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

The structure of the Monitoring data isn't documented and could change from release to release. However, the structure is pretty much identical to the output of the stats APIs built into Elasticsearch: Cluster APIs | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

In the Monitoring app, you can look at the request rates for searches to see this information. Note that it only includes the Elasticsearch internal time, not network time or client processing time. You can see this info by doing

curl -XGET 'http://localhost:9200/_nodes/stats/indices/search'

You'll see similar data in the monitoring indices, under .monitoring-es-2-*, in the node_stats type.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.