Heartbeat Down Counter

How do I make a simple counter, that show how many of my hosts are down?

We are running heartbeat.
I'd think it was simple to make this, but I can't figure it out.

How do I make a simple counter that show how many of the lastest pings to hosts have returned "down"?

Or can I make a treemap or Donut or something, so I can also know which hosts those are.

This is probably really obvious, but I can't figure out how to make this. Seems like a common use-case.

EDIT: I just checked the server that is down, via Discover, and Heartbeat just stops checking the server when it dies? Then what is the point of Heartbeat? How do I then check if my servers are up or down? I thought that was the whole idea behind Heartbeat? Have I misunderstood something?

What is the point of Heartbeat, if it stops logging, when the host dies? I thought it would then create logs that show that the host is down. Have I completely misunderstood something very fundamental here?

The view in Observability > Uptime should give you exactly what you want: Uptime monitoring | Observability Guide [7.15] | Elastic

It's difficult to re-build these views with the regular visualizations - Is there something specific missing in the uptime app for your case?

1 Like

Thank you Flash. I had indeed missed something very basic. I was trying to make that Observability > Uptime page in a Custom Dashboard basically.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.