High CPU usage after GC?

I got alerted that our CPU usage is high and according to some metrics elasticsearch is consuming cpu. This was the last log of elasticsearch, but it's still working fine though

[INFO ][o.e.m.j.JvmGcMonitorService] [iJXOMG0] [gc][2923498] overhead, spent [261ms] collecting in the last [1s]

Shortly after this, the alert triggered

Another thing is that the last time this log showed the number seems to be small

[o.e.m.j.JvmGcMonitorService] [iJXOMG0] [gc][304] overhead, spent [272ms] collecting in the last [1s]

How could I lower down the CPU usage?

Elasticsearch is running on docker and I have set ES_JAVA_OPTS: "-Xmx512m -Xms512m"

Is your Elasticsearch Instance is running as Master/Client & Data in the same container ?

Because 512Mb is really not enought to run a one node ELK Stack.

To be safe in you case, put at least 2G for the container.

Edit : May you have to increase your CPU's

Yes it is. I could increase the heap size but the issue here though is that it was consuming almost 0% cpu before this

Mhm, what were the last tasks elastic run ?

Looks something happen to consuming from 0% to 50% AVG.

Log's aren't tell what kind of event could be the fault ? (Execpt 2 lines)

How could I know that?

You could get more information from Elastic logs, at leasts more details

Doesn't the logs go out into STDOUT? If so then the last logs of elasticsearch are the one I have posted originally. If there is a different file that elasticsearch logs into then I would appreciate it if you could help me find it.

This is the contents of my log4j2 file

status = error

appender.console.type = Console
appender.console.name = console
appender.console.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.console.layout.pattern = [%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c{1.}] %marker%m%n

rootLogger.level = info
rootLogger.appenderRef.console.ref = console

This means that the logs are output into the console right?

Hi, I really need help on this. I could probably just restart my elasticsearch instance to solve this problem but I want to know what caused this.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.