How to change replica for system indices

Hi all,
I wanted to change the number of replicas for Elasticsearch system indices.
I know that the forbit it but is there a way to override that to increase the number of indices or replicas for elastic system indices.

Thanks for your time.

What version are you running?
Most newer versions will use auto-expanding replicas (from 0 to 1).

i'am currently use version 8.1, so where can i find that auto-expanding replicas on elastic?

It's part of the template for the index. Why do you want to change it?

I want to increase the number of replicas of the system indices to make sure that if the server that host the system indices die then i can still operate on elastic to fix the issue.
Since there is only 1 replicas on the system indices so it is alittle scary for important indices to only have 1 replicas.

1 Like

wait you mean i can change the index template for system indices?

Oh but what i want is to change the current system indices number of replicas and not the template one.

I also want to change its replica count to 3. Although it is not recommended to modify system indices manually, I am afraid to have down time.

As I know, I can increase the replica count of each sistem indices along with all other indexes by using Dev Tools like

PUT /*/_settings
{
  "index" : {
    "number_of_replicas" : 3,  
    "auto_expand_replicas" : "0-3"
  }
}

But this is just for existing system indices, I think I need to create some index template for system indices to apply the same settings.

So can you help me

1. how I can do that
  2. What are the system indices/ system indices template
  3. What is the best practice to satisfy the resilience in terms of system indices

Best Regards,
Kursad

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.