How to check ES_HEAP_SIZE

(gpong) #1

Hi guys,

I tried to setting ES_HEAP_SIZE to 1024m on my linux server. I used this setting > export ES_HEAP_SIZE=1024m. Now how to check if this new setting is work??

Thanks

(justin) #2

check echo $ES_HEAP_SIZE

(justin) #3

set it in elasticsearch.yml of config file

(gpong) #4

What do you mean by setting es_heap_size on config file?? I read on the elasticsearch website that es_heap_size is an environment variable. and how to setting it to config file?? ES_HEAP_SIZE : 1024m like this??

Thanks

(Magnus Bäck) #5

I tried to setting ES_HEAP_SIZE to 1024m on my linux server. I used this setting > export ES_HEAP_SIZE=1024m. Now how to check if this new setting is work??

Look at the resulting JVM process when you start ES, specifically the -Xmx option.

If you're starting ES as a service (which you should be doing) you should probably be modifying /etc/sysconfig/elasticsearch or /etc/default/elasticsearch instead.

(Jason Tedor) #6

Both Elasticsearch and the JVM provides some wonderful introspection tools, so there are many ways to check this.

• Query the endpoint /_nodes/stats/jvm and for each node inspect the path jvm.mem.heap_max_in_bytes. For example, if I start Elasticsearch with ES_HEAP_SIZE=4g listening on localhost and then execute
curl -sS -XGET localhost:9200/_nodes/stats/jvm | jq '..|.heap_max_in_bytes?|select(type != "null")'

I see

• Similarly, you can use the cat nodes API by executing
curl -sS -XGET "localhost:9200/_cat/nodes?h=heap*&v"

which would give

heap.current heap.percent heap.max 
     119.9mb            2    3.9gb 

with the same 4g heap.

on the console. If you have multiple nodes running, this will print out one line for each node.

• You can use jps to see the command line flags. For example, if I start Elasticsearch with ES_HEAP_SIZE=4g and then execute
jps -l -m -v

then I see

5858 org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.eElasticsearche start -Xms4g -Xmx4g -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djna.nosys=true -Des.path.home=/Users/jason/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-2.1.0
  • Another good tool to know is jinfo. For example:
jinfo -flags 5858

gives

Attaching to process ID 5858, please wait...
Debugger attached successfully.
Server compiler detected.
JVM version is 25.66-b17
Non-default VM flags: -XX:CICompilerCount=4 -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:InitialHeapSize=4294967296 -XX:MaxHeapSize=4294967296 -XX:MaxNewSize=697892864 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=6 -XX:MinHeapDeltaBytes=196608 -XX:NewSize=697892864 -XX:OldPLABSize=16 -XX:OldSize=3597074432 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:+UseCompressedClassPointers -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseFastUnorderedTimeStamps -XX:+UseParNewGC 
Command line:  -Xms4g -Xmx4g -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=75 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djna.nosys=true -Des.path.home=/Users/jason/elasticsearch/elasticsearch-2.1.0

Note the -XX:InitialHeapSize=4294967296 -XX:MaxHeapSize=4294967296 in the output.

There are many other ways to check this same information (JVisualVM, Java Mission Control, jstat, jmap, etc.).

ES not using all the memory assigned to it
(Mark Walkom) #7

That won't work though! See @magnusbaeck's response.

(system) #8