How to configure dashboard for .net core agent

Hi

I have been able configured the .net Core Agent (GA version) for our app using docker containers

• Eslasticsearch, Kibana, APM 7.3

• Or aplication uses latest versions of .net core 2.2, ef core, and postgres for backend. Frontend is an angular7 SPA.

By now, I have managed to have it working with no big trouble... though it is the first time for me using Elasticsearch/Kibana.

• I can see the different transactions in the apm dashboard, and the sql calls with their local stack trace.

• Also I've been able to find the status records, in the raw data, registering memory and cpu over time.

• I have not added RUM (all will come).

It really looks promising for us. Thank you, great work!

Since this is the first time using kibana and the apm dashboards I'm not really sure on what I can expect as OTB features. In this step of our evaluation, I was wanting to see as much of those bundled features as possible, and then decide if we go on with any customizations.

Questions follow....

• In particular, I'm missing the app monitoring dashboard showing the cpu and memory. Is this dashboard included? How can I enable it? Is it possible to show different instances of our app in the same graph? (Always meaning the .net core agent, not docker containers...) I'm really lost in this part, how to use this information from Kibana.

• Also, I've learned from a presentation of your team in Spain (a previous beta) that it would be possible to show the original code together with the stack trace. I have not seen any reference to this in the docs and I don't know how to configure this. Is this feature available?

I understand .net core support is a pretty new feature, and maybe not everything is ready or documented yet. Any tip you could give some on how to configure views or use this information would be of great value. Are they are already bundled or need to be done by me? (Or, if you could point me to some recent doc on the matter it would be really useful too).

Thank you very much for your attention.

Marco

Hi @marcoregueira! Welcome to the forum!

Please let me answer your questions one by one:

In particular, I'm missing the app monitoring dashboard showing the cpu and memory. Is this dashboard included? How can I enable it?

You can see graphs showing CPU and memory at Metrics tab as described in more details in the public documentation of APM UI. I recommend to read APM section to get acquainted with Elastic APM UI.

How can I enable it?

It's enabled by default.

Is it possible to show different instances of our app in the same graph?

You can filter by any criteria by using search bar above Metrics tab.

Also, I've learned from a presentation of your team in Spain (a previous beta) that it would be possible to show the original code together with the stack trace. I have not seen any reference to this in the docs and I don't know how to configure this. Is this feature available?

At the moment this feature is only supported for interpreted languages (such as Python, Ruby and Node.js) where source code is available. To cover compiled languages (such as Java, Go, .NET) we are planning to deliver a feature linking source code in an external repository (such as Github) and information captured by APM but it's not a near term goal so there's no release date.

I understand .net core support is a pretty new feature, and maybe not everything is ready or documented yet.

Elastic APM .NET agent is indeed a new component but we have public documentation for it - please take a look. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Any tip you could give some on how to configure views or use this information would be of great value.

Data captured by Elastic APM .NET agent is stored in Elasticsearch in the standard way as data captured by any other Elastic APM agent (Python, Java, Go, etc.) so you use this data in Kibana in the same way you will any other Elasticsearch data to create dashboards, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.