How to downgrade Elasticsearch 5.6.x Snapshot version?

I've been attempting to migrate about 3TB of data from an AWS Elasticsearch Service cluster to a self managed Elasticsearch cluster made with EC2 instances. I was going to use snapshots to help with transferring all this data. Attempting to restore the snapshot to a self managed cluster has resulted in this error message:

{
  "error": {
    "root_cause": [
      {
        "type": "snapshot_restore_exception",
        "reason": "[backup:snapshot_2020071616/8sr3LiykSRmm5Eeq00y9LQ] the snapshot was created with Elasticsearch version [5.6.17] which is higher than the version of this node [5.6.16]"
      }
    ],
    "type": "snapshot_restore_exception",
    "reason": "[backup:snapshot_2020071616/8sr3LiykSRmm5Eeq00y9LQ] the snapshot was created with Elasticsearch version [5.6.17] which is higher than the version of this node [5.6.16]"
  },
  "status": 500
}

Is there anyway to downgrade the snapshot version? Remote reindexing from the AWS Elasticsearch service is out of the question (remote reindexing is not supported) and Logstash is not an option either as it takes far too long to migrate the data compared to using snapshots (we're talking about 3 hours with snapshots versus 25-40 hours using Logstash).

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

There's not, no. Why don't you upgrade Elasticsearch?

Our product doesn't support versions 6.x or higher. It was only built around 5.6.x.

I think that mark asked why you are not using 5.6.17 on the new cluster?

Because 5.6.17 is not part of the official Elasticsearch releases. https://www.elastic.co/downloads/past-releases#elasticsearch

It looks like AWS have created their own 5.6 version. That will make it more difficult for users tied to that version to migrate away. In that case I suspect you need to restore it into a 6.x node and reindex remotely from there.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.