How to get size disk closed index - Mapper size plugin

Hi,

Is it possible to retrieve disk size information of closed index with mapper size plugin ?

I need to create index disk usage statistics but I don't really know how to get closed index information..

Kind regards,

Thomas

The mapper size plugin is not meant for index size but for document content size.

Is it possible to retrieve disk size information of closed index with mapper size plugin ?

So the answer is no.

I need to create index disk usage statistics but I don't really know how to get closed index information.

I don't think there's an easy way to do that.

Could you tell what do you need this information for?

Thanks for your quick answer.

I store logs and create log indexes by teams with ILM policies.

I would like to know how many storage use each team.

The problem is, elastic API provide statistics on open indexes only.

I'm trying to find a way to get size information on closed index to know which team consume the most.

I thought that I could repoen index, add a metadata with disk size, close it again and then I could query it but it not seems easy to do.

Maybe you have an idea on how to get closed index disk size ?

For now closed indices can't report that data. I don't know if this will be possible in the future but I did not hear anything about something coming in the near future.
I know that some optimisations will be hopefully coming to have open indices using as less resources as possible so we don't have to close the indices anymore.

For now, I can only imagine that you do something like what the elastic monitoring is doing like gathering data every x minutes/hours about the opened indices and store that in a given index. It will give you enough insights I think regarding the usage per team.

Something you can do though may be is to use the existing monitoring data and see if that fits already to your use case.

HTH

1 Like

Use monitoring system to store this information, is quite a good idea.

I'll think about this solution thanks :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.