How to handle windows rate performance counters

Hi,

beat: metricbeat-6.1.1-windows-x86_64

I use metric beat to collect performance counters on windows. It's not clear to me how to handle counters that give a rate (things per second) given the way that performance counters handle rates with sampling periods.

e.g. Asp.net has a 'Requests/Sec' counter.

If i set period for metricbeat at 5 seconds and fire 50 request within one period of 5 seconds i get the value 10. That means 10 per second and since the sampling rate is 5 seconds that results in the 50 requests.

If i set period for metricbeat at 2 seconds and fire 50 request within one period of 2 seconds i get the value 25. That means 25 per second and since the sampling rate is 2 seconds that results in the 50 requests.

So to interpret the value i get I have to know the sampling rate. But in the events i get in elastic i don't know the sampling rate.

For a moment i thought it could be the metricset.rtt, but that is almost always not set.

Whats the best way to handle these kinds of rate events? Can there be some processing done in metricbeat to go from rate to count. Or is that something you would have to build with logstash or pipelines in elastic?

Below the config i use and a sample from the events that get published.

Kind regards,

Arno den Uijl

- module: windows
  metricsets: ["perfmon"]
  period: 5s
  perfmon.counters:
      - instance_label: '\ASP.NET Apps v4.0.30319(__Total__)\Requests/Sec.instance'
        measurement_label: '\ASP.NET Apps v4.0.30319\Requests/Sec.value'
        query: '\ASP.NET Apps v4.0.30319(__Total__)\Requests/Sec'     

2018/01/06 10:27:16.920130 processor.go:275: DBG [publish] Publish event: {
  "@timestamp": "2018-01-06T10:27:16.920Z",
  "@metadata": {
    "beat": "metricbeat",
    "type": "doc",
    "version": "6.1.1"
  },
  "windows": {
    "perfmon": {
      "ASP_NET_Apps_v4_0_30319": {
        "RequestsPerSec": {
          "instance": "__Total__",
          "value": 10.00141823319022
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "metricset": {
    "module": "windows",
    "name": "perfmon"
  },
  "beat": {
    "name": "Biggie",
    "hostname": "Biggie",
    "version": "6.1.1"
  }
}                                                         

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.