How to remove formatting from visualization?

I have a super basic question about formatting visualizations. I'm finding Kibana wants to add all sorts of helpers to my visualizations. I've attached a screenshot of some type of expander which expands this visualization and is completly unhelpful. I'd rather not show these option at all instead of cluttering up my information.

Where do I begin learning the basics to do this? It's not an option or checkbox in the tool so I suspect I need to set this as some type of switch in the code which is great. I just need to know where to begin.

Remove_Visualize_Format

Thank you,
Greg

Hey @gregpaskal, is it mainly the full-screen button that you're looking to hide? Is this in the context of viewing Visualizations via a Dashboard?

Hi @Brandon_Kobel, thanks for writing. To start with, I'd like to hide the full-screen button but their are other attributes that I would also like to have more control over as well. I thought I would just start with this one to begin with.

You are correct, the context is viewing visualization via a Dashboard. We are seeing some awesome results from the dashboards I have been creating and I would like to get better at making them less cluttered with unnecessary (for my needs) attributes. I imagine this has got to be easy if I knew the basic process. I am a developer, primarily working in Ruby but I have been coding for over 30 years. Ultimately, I'd like to create my visualizations via code. I took the "Kibana Data Analysis 1" class earlier this year but we really didn't get into items like this.

Any help would be be really appreciated Brandon.

All the best,
Greg

Hey @gregpaskal, if you were to fork Kibana and make those changes, it's going to become a maintenance burden to incorporate them into future versions of Kibana. If you're feeling up to it, our Contributing Guide should walk you through the basics of building Kibana and submitting a PR. I'd recommend opening an issue here for the features that you'd like to add and stating that you'd like to work on it before starting to work on them if the end-intent is to submit a PR to get them incorporated into Kibana.

@Brandon_Kobel, thanks for the response, I was hoping there was a much easier way to customize the look and feel of visualizations. There is no way I would consider forking the project to make those changes.

Are all visualizations created through the GUI tools within Kibana? Is there a programatic way to create visualizations?

Can you suggest another tool other than Kibana to visualize data queried via Elasticsearch?

Thanks again,
Greg

@gregpaskal the Visualizations aren't created through some type of GUI tools within Kibana, and they are custom code, so there isn't a custom visual designer you can use to easily just "remove" these buttons.

You can create custom Visualizations using Vega but I'm afraid that if you use these in our Dashboard application that you'll still see the buttons that you're trying to hide.

Please feel free to open up an issue in out GitHub here for the features that you'd like to see added, and we'll prioritize them with the rest of our feature requests.

@Brandon_Kobel, I've attached a screenshot to what I am considering the GUI tool for creating a visualization (in this case a "Metric") within Kibana. Each visualization type seems to provide a different set of controls like these for dialing in the visualization to what the users wants.

It may be that I'm not grasping the high level concept of what's going on behind the scenes to create these visualizations. I figured it worked something like this...

Say for instance I want to create a "Metric". I selected the "Create New Visualization" button (+) from the Visualize screen. Then I am presented with a whole host of visualization types to choose from. I select "Metric". This leads me to a screen where I select the Index I want to use. This then leads me to a screen with two tabs (Data & Options). They both provide a GUI for me to enter my specifics into to create the "Metric" I specifically want. Lastly I save this new, customized visualization which I will add to my Dashboard.

Isn't this process the one most people go through to create various types of visualizations using the GUI tools provided to customize visualizations?

Thanks for your patience,
Greg

@gregpaskal that is the general process, yes. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I was under the impression that you were wanting to hide specific buttons that show up in the context of the Dashboard, which isn't configurable via the Visualizations customizations that you've described.

@Brandon_Kobel. So here is an excerpt from my dashboard. I would guess most of the attributes I'm pointing the arrows at are controlled by the visualization and not the dashboard. If they are part of the visualization and the GUI does not provide an obvious way to show/hide them, can they still be hidden? If so, where do I begin to learn how to do this? For example, how about if I wanted to simply hide the legend, including the little arrow button for "Test Case - Pass vs. Fail Ratio". Rolling over this pie chart still gives me the numbers if I'm really interested and it would be nice to reclaim that legend real estate back for more visualized data.

I would guess most of the attributes I'm pointing the arrows at are controlled by the visualization and not the dashboard

Most of these are, the full-screen buttons are not. The items highlighted in red below are controlled by the Visualization itself, and the items highlighted in blue are controlled by the Dashboard.

e211637fa7b194135c496ab8e5f4c5f2dd37f89c_1_633x500

If they are part of the visualization and the GUI does not provide an obvious way to show/hide them, can they still be hidden?

Not without changing the code to add an additional option that can be set via the "Visualize Editor"

For example, how about if I wanted to simply hide the legend, including the little arrow button for "Test Case - Pass vs. Fail Ratio". Rolling over this pie chart still gives me the numbers if I'm really interested and it would be nice to reclaim that legend real estate back for more visualized data.

If this isn't currently an option in the "Visualize Editor" the best course of action is to open up an issue in our GitHub repo here for this feature to get this added.

@Brandon_Kobel,
Thank you for your advice and insights to working with Kibana.

All the best,
Greg

@gregpaskal my pleasure!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.