ILM Hot, Warm, Cold?

Hello,
When I try to setup ILM to make an index to become "Warm" after 30 days, then "Cold" after 60 days, and deleted after 90 days, I get the following:

You can't control shard allocation without node attributes.

Can someone help me with what to do next?

Thanks!

To get started, have a look here and here.

Hi @lamp123432

This warning is telling you that you need to configure your Elasticsearch nodes before using ILM in this way. Open your elasticsearch.yml and use the following setting:

node.attr.temp: warm

This will tell Elasticsearch where to "move" indices which have been declared as "warm" by your ILM. For more details refer to the links @egalpin posted

Hello, thanks for the reply. If I only have one node, does this mean I cannot use this feature?

Even with multiple node, one node should be dedicated to "warm" indexes while other nodes to hot and cold?

Hey
well if you have a single node setup, then a hot-warm-cold architecture doesn't make much sense. The background is cost saving. So if you store sequential, time-based data (for example logs), after a while the data gets less relevant and indexing/querying doesn't need to be as fast and performant any more.

Example:

• 3 data nodes – one is "hot", one is "warm" and one is "cold"
  • The "hot" node is running on really expensive, super fast hardware, while "warm" and "cold" are running on cheap, old hardware
  • Now you can configure your Cluster so only the most recents logs (for example past 14 days) remain on the "hot" node --> super fast indexing and querying
  • After 14 days the indices are rolled over to "warm"
  • After 28 days your indices get rolled over to "cold"

Great explanation, I do have a client that has 3 nodes, so this will be beneficial.

But I have a second client with only one node, after some time Logstash cannot send anything to Elasticsearch because it complains that all the shards have been allocated. It happens after 3 months, then I have to delete old indexes. So that's why I thought ILM policies could help keep the data longer.

In this case, do you think roll-ups would be my only option?

Do you have a more precise error? All shards being "allocated" is actually a good thing and should not cause any problems.
Nevertheless, using Index Lifecycle Policies is best practice and saves you a lot of manual work and disc space when configured correctly :wink:
You can use those policies no matter how many nodes you have - just moving shards based on "temperature" won't be possible on a single node cluster

Here's the error:

Dec 04 18:01:09 node1 logstash[1578]: [2020-12-04T18:01:09,812][WARN ][logstash.outputs.elasticsearch][netflow][4bs9s93560b30d657e23c4241487efc] Could not index event to Elasticsearch. {:status=>400, :action=>["index", {:_id=>nil, :_index=>"netflow-node1-2020.12.04", :routing=>nil, :_type=>"_doc"}, #<LogStash::Event:0x6c768f05>], :response=>{"index"=>{"_index"=>"netflow-node1-2020.12.04", "_type"=>"_doc", "_id"=>nil, "status"=>400, "error"=>{"type"=>"illegal_argument_exception", "reason"=>"Validation Failed: 1: this action would add [6] total shards, but this cluster currently has [2000]/[2000] maximum shards open;"}}}}

Logstash cannot send new data to Elasticsearch, because a new index would be created and there is no enough shards available.

This seems to tell me that too many shards are open, I need to close a few of them. So without having dedicated "warm" or "cold" nodes, my only option is to delete indexes to get back some shards?

What is the output of:

GET /
GET /_cat/nodes?v
GET /_cat/health?v
GET /_cat/indices?v

If some outputs are too big, please share them on gist.github.com and link them here.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.