Infrastructure tab in the APM UI/App

Hi there,

Anyone know what the 'key' is to correlate infrastructure metrics with APM agent metrics so they appear in the infrastructure tab in the APM UI?

I am not seeing any infra metrics for an APM service but I know that we definitely have them in elasticsearch from the Elastic Agent running on the server that the JVM is hosted on.

host.hostname field is common across both APM and EA documents but interestingly in the APM data it is uppercase and in the EA data it is lowercase. Not sure if this could be the issue though.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

The infrastructure metrics table in the APM UI is populated by infrastructure data filtered by the following fields:

• Pods: kubernetes.pod.name from the APM metrics data streams.

• Containers: container.id from the APM metrics data streams.

• Hosts: If the application is containerized (if the APM metrics documents include container.id), host.name is used from the infrastructure data streams (filtered by container.id). If not, host.hostname is used from the APM metrics data streams.

Thanks,
Giorgos

Thanks Giorgos.

Really useful information. So one thing, for my non-containerized app I am not seeing any data in the infrastructure tab. Interestingly the host.hostname field for the APM data stream is lowercase. It is uppercase for the infrastructure data. Host name is the same!

Could this be an issue do you think?

Thanks.

Hello,

Does the host.hostname field value in the APM data match the host.name field value in infrastructure data?

Thanks,
Giorgos

Hi Giorgos,

They match in that it's the same server - but the APM data is is uppercase and the Inf data is lowercase. Not sure if that matters here or not though.

Thanks!

Hello,

The current queries used to correlate APM and infrastructure data are case sensitive.

It would be great to understand what does your setup look like to identify the reason of the difference in the host names.

Thanks,
Giorgos