Inserting logs with TimeStamp out of order

(Paulo Barros) #1

Previously, the LogInfoEvent.TimeStamp from my application used to be the UTC time the log message was received. Recently, I parameterized it to allow my application to insert logs of operations that occurred in the past, like a week ago.

I tested this feature on dev environment without any issues. A few weeks later though, Kibana started to give me the following error message "Discover: Gateway Timeout", saying that my Elastic Seach is unavailable.

Is modifying the LogInfoEvent.TimeStamp a bad practice, considering that I have the option "Index contains time-based events " checked on Kibana?

(Jared Carey) #2

A time field in elasticsearch comes in as a string and is parsed to timestamp based upon a pattern. If you modified the timestamp in such a way that the expected pattern is incorrect, the document could be rejected (default behavior). A timestamp is just a field within an index, order or values (beyond what I just mentioned) do not matter. You’ll want to check the health of the cluster and the elasticsearch logs to get a better idea of what is happening, as the problem you encountered could be many different issues.

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.