Installing and running Docker plugin - help with syntax needed

I get the error

"docker run" requires at least 1 argument(s).

when I run this command

docker run --log-driver=elastic/elastic-logging-plugin:8.1.2 --log-opt hosts="thehost"

I then tried to fix the error by adding what I understand to be the Image that the docker run command requires

docker run --log-driver=elastic/elastic-logging-plugin:8.1.2 --log-opt hosts="thehost" registry.redhat.io/3scale-amp2/apicast-gateway-rhel8

but I get a different error

/usr/bin/docker-current: Error response from daemon: logger: no log driver named 'elastic/elastic-logging-plugin:8.1.2' is registered.

I suspect the real problem is not the log driver, because the plugin shows as enabled when I run docker plugin ls

I'm new to Docker so I cannot figure out what I typed wrong in my commands.

The instructions I'm following are of course here:

While the article talks about installing, it does not say anything about registering the driver. Should I explicitly register the Elastic log driver?

What I really need is to pipe the output of "docker logs mycontainer" to our Elastic cluster. This plugin, I guess, tries to live inside the container. I don't think that's what we're looking for.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.