Ip-filtering

Hello,

I want to migrate from configuration property ip-filtering to dynamic:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/current/ip-filtering.html#dynamic-ip-filtering

If I want to add a host, or remove a host can I do it host by host?
what happens with the statically configured IPs? are they merged with the dynamic ones or lost?

regards

HHEEELLLP !!!! SOS !!!

I tried (replace the xxx)

PUT /_cluster/settings
{
    "persistent" : {
        "xpack.security.transport.filter.allow" : "88.xxx.xxx.83"
    }
}

and now I cannot connect my cluster! even in localhost!

curl -u elastic:password "http://localhost:9200/_cluster/settings"
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

How can I recover????

PS: I had

xpack.security.transport.filter.allow: ['some IPs']
        xpack.security.transport.filter.deny: _all

Here is some interesting stack trace:

[2018-04-20T18:02:11,967][WARN ][o.e.g.DanglingIndicesState] [wilco-2] [[.monitoring-es-6-2018.04.16/IuLNNiMKTCyaZWkxYshq6w]] can not be imported as a dangling index, as index with same name already exists in cluster metadata
[2018-04-20T18:02:11,967][INFO ][o.e.c.m.TemplateUpgradeService] [wilco-2] Finished upgrading templates to version 6.2.2
[2018-04-20T18:02:17,283][ERROR][o.e.x.w.t.s.ExecutableScriptTransform] [wilco-2] failed to execute [script] transform for [UTIZbUvoTtizEv91Q260jQ_elasticsearch_cluster_status_b8610155-8b8a-4c78-8125-1b90dac5f1fe-2018-04-20T16:02:17.258Z]
org.elasticsearch.script.ScriptException: runtime error
	at org.elasticsearch.painless.PainlessScript.convertToScriptException(PainlessScript.java:101) ~[?:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.painless.PainlessScript$Script.execute(ctx.vars.email_recipient = (ctx.payload.kibana_settings.hits.total > 0) ? ctx.payload.kibana_settings.hits.hits[0]._source.kibana_settings.xpack.default_admin_email : null;ctx.vars.is_new = ctx.vars.fails_check && !ctx.vars.not_resolved;ctx.vars.is_resolve ...:1070) ~[?:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.painless.ScriptImpl.run(ScriptImpl.java:105) ~[?:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.transform.script.ExecutableScriptTransform.doExecute(ExecutableScriptTransform.java:69) ~[x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.transform.script.ExecutableScriptTransform.execute(ExecutableScriptTransform.java:53) ~[x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.transform.script.ExecutableScriptTransform.execute(ExecutableScriptTransform.java:38) ~[x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService.executeInner(ExecutionService.java:481) ~[x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService.execute(ExecutionService.java:322) ~[x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService.lambda$executeAsync$7(ExecutionService.java:426) ~[x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.xpack.watcher.execution.ExecutionService$WatchExecutionTask.run(ExecutionService.java:580) [x-pack-watcher-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at org.elasticsearch.common.util.concurrent.ThreadContext$ContextPreservingRunnable.run(ThreadContext.java:573) [elasticsearch-6.2.2.jar:6.2.2]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [?:1.8.0_121]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [?:1.8.0_121]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_121]
Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
	at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:653) ~[?:1.8.0_121]
	at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:429) ~[?:1.8.0_121]
	at org.elasticsearch.painless.PainlessScript$Script.execute(ctx.vars.email_recipient = (ctx.payload.kibana_settings.hits.total > 0) ? ctx.payload.kibana_settings.hits.hits[0]._source.kibana_settings.xpack.default_admin_email : null;ctx.vars.is_new = ctx.vars.fails_check && !ctx.vars.not_resolved;ctx.vars.is_resolve ...:347) ~[?:?]
	... 12 more

Still stucked. I have restarted my cluster, after adding xpack.security.transport.filter.enabled: false on each node, but the result is the same. Cannot connect the cluster. But I know the server is GREEN because I did receive an email from x-pack monitoring

root@wilco-1:~# nc -z -v -w5 localhost 9200
localhost [127.0.0.1] 9200 (?) open
root@wilco-1:~# curl -u elastic:3s3rqT102v0yZF0kHGdG http://localhost:9200
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

Hey dao,

Hope you and your cluster are well.

The ip filtering rules work just like any other cluster setting, see precedence of settings . You cannot mix conf file settings with the dynamic ones or append them, you only set or unset them, in file or via the api where the api has precedence.

I have not fully acknowledged the fail state you are describing.

xpack.security.transport.filter.allow: ['some IPs']
  xpack.security.transport.filter.deny: _all

This should not gate the HTTP layer, curl should work. Also, turning xpack.security.transport.filter.enabled: false should disable filtering. All this assumes that only the settings mentioned previously have been set via the API. Otherwise, any other settings applied from the API take precedence.

In all case, have you tried to temporarily set the public IP "88.xxx.xxx.83" on the local network interface of one of the nodes, run the curl which clears all the settings, then revert the dummy IP addr ?

Hello Albert,

I am better compared to the friday-PM-last-minute-change that ruined my apero

Anyway, I did exactly what you have suggested and saved the accesses. I have decided to disable IP-Filtering and set it up with a standard linux firewall (UFW). I feel better this way because I always can ssh the server to be behind the firewall.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.