Is it possible to have an isolated node in a cluster?

Hello everyone,

I have a cluster of a few nodes, all on the same subnet. They all see each other and I can query either for data (or push data to). A classical basic setup of sorts.

I am now faced with the problem of having one extra node located in a place which is reachable FROM the existing cluster (outgoing connections) but that node canot initiate connection TO the cluster. The typical case is a cluster in a LAN and the extra node in a DMZ which can be only cheached "into" (that is a host in the DMZ cannot initiate connections).

Is this a viable setup for Elasticsearch?

There are several cases which I could works with (from the dream one to the most restrictive):

• the new node is fully operational, it accepts PUT/POST requests and the received data is further propagated to the cluster, new data in the cluster is synchronized to it as well
  • the new node is read-only, that is I can issue GET requests and get the data in the cluster, but not update the cluster (the cluster pushes new data, the node holds its share of shards)
  • the new node is as above, but it holds a copy of all data in the cluster (the cluster pushes the data)

The traffic towards the new node is fine-tunable (from a port opening perspective). Traffic initiated from the node to the LAN is not possible in any case.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.