Is there a way to rename an ingest pipeline

Hello all,

I found nothing on this searching the forum so opening a new topic.

I also found nothing suggesting this would be possible in the comprehensive official documentation but I thought I would ask anyway :smiley:

Is it possible to rename an Elasticsearch ingest pipeline?

The reason why I am asking is that I would like to start to make use of these but I am not really using Elastic default naming schemes. I use Elastic Stack for centralized logging.

I was hoping that I could use names like haproxy or nginx-access for ingest pipelines instead of filebeat-7.5.2-haproxy-log-pipeline or filebeat-7.5.2-nginx-access-default whihc are the names Filebeat created for me. As I'm writing I realize that maybe there is a way to tell Filebeat what name to use for the pipeline it is creating.

The original question still stands though. I quite regularly change my mind when it comes to things I name. Usually the first attempt turns out to be not that great :grimacing:

Any comments and suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

I'm curious about the use case. Why do you want to do that?

Hi @dadoonet,

when you put it like that, I can't think of any really good examples of use cases. As I have Puppet to manage all my configs, if the name is a bit longer than I would prefer it to be, it is not really a problem.

Having said all that, I still think it could be useful at some point to rename or copy a pipeline :slight_smile:

Well. It can be easy IMO to run a:

GET /_pipeline/oldname
PUT /_pipeline/newname
{ /* CONTENT FROM PREVIOUS REQUEST HERE */ }
DELETE /_pipeline/oldname

Should be easy, no?

1 Like

True, that seems like a pretty elegant solution :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.