Issue with parent/child in kibana

I read at several places that parent/child feature is missing for kibana.
For my usecase, I have a document of type input which is the parent to many child documents of type output.
I want to sort all output documents using the parent field, but on adding sort:!(_parent,desc) to the url, the documents are not sorted. Using the similar way I am able to sort the documents based on other fields.
Also, upon adding _parent field to the list of columns, the field remains blank.
Can someone please explain as to what features are not present in kibana and is the above mentioned behaviour is an expected one.
My elasticsearch version is 1.7 and I am using kibana 4.

Thanks

Sorry @prsdSp, but Kibana does not support parent/child documents in that way.

In order to fully consume the output data in Kibana you would need to index the output documents in their own index and denormalize values from the input into each of the output documents.

There are certainly drawbacks to this approach, but it will be necessary if you want to get the most value out of a tool like Kibana.

The Output documents have the _parent field, the mapping is of the form
"Output": {
"_parent": {
"type": "Input"
}
The parent filed is not present as a property field.
Also, when I query the elasticsearch cluster using the below query for a set of output documents, the sorting based on _parent field is being correctly done
"sort": [
{
"_parent": {
"order": "desc"
}
},
{
"_score": {
"order": "desc"
}
}
]
}
My usecase here is that for documents having same score, all child documents having the same parent Input document should be present together.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.