It is possible to monitor services like, for example, DNS?

I don't know if this is the appropiate category but I'm new using elastic stack and in general any tool of this style (because I'm in practice, just out of studying computer science) and the truth is that I am quite fond, however, I find it hard to configure things that can be simple due to my lack of experience.

Is there any way to monitor any type of service or is only possible those that allow metricbeat?

Thanks for the help

Have a look at Heartbeat, which can be used to e.g. monitor your DNS server(s). You could install Heartbeat on a separate server, and check port 53 on your DNS server.

1 Like

Well to answer your question in broad strokes, it is possible to monitor almost any service to some degree. The service has to support some sort of logging and almost all do. In many enterprises DNS is handled by the domain controller. You can configure the domain controller to generate a log of the DNS queries sent to it (that it would then forward to another server such as 8.8.8.8 which is googles public DNS server). I have used winlogbeat to collect from the domain controller logs and capture this info.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you for the answer, I will start working on it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.