Java errors on Kibana dashboard load

The issue is with Kibana not loading content in the page, but the errors come from ElasticSearch's logs.

CentOS 7 machine

Kibana:

• version 4.2.1
  • Unpacked to /opt/kibana4
  • systemd service enabled

ElasticSearch

When loading Kibana in the browser, there is no content in the page, only the header with Kibana banner, Discover, Visualize, Dashboard, Settings. Clicking on the menu options loads no content.

Kibana and ElasticSearch are both set to log, when requesting Kibana's dashboard, the ES log shows these errors on every page load:

[2016-01-14 13:13:22,135][DEBUG][action.search.type ] [ris-syslog01] All shards failed for phase: [query_fetch]
RemoteTransportException[[ris-syslog01][10.210.2.235:9300][indices:data/read/search[phase/query+fetch]]]; nested: QueryPhaseExecutionException[Result window is too large, from + size must be less than or equal to: [20000] but was [2147483647]. See the scroll api for a more efficient way to request large data sets. This limit can be set by changing the [index.max_result_window] index level parameter.];
Caused by: QueryPhaseExecutionException[Result window is too large, from + size must be less than or equal to: [20000] but was [2147483647]. See the scroll api for a more efficient way to request large data sets. This limit can be set by changing the [index.max_result_window] index level parameter.]

[2016-01-14 13:11:48,144][INFO ][rest.suppressed ] /.kibana/index-pattern/_search Params: {index=.kibana, type=index-pattern, fields=}
Failed to execute phase [query_fetch], all shards failed; shardFailures {[gZq597ySRGO18TBnaxu5HQ][.kibana][0]: RemoteTransportException[[ris-syslog02][10.210.2.236:9300][indices:data/read/search[phase/query+fetch]]]; nested: QueryPhaseExecutionException[Result window is too large, from + size must be less than or equal to: [20000] but was [2147483647]. See the scroll api for a more efficient way to request large data sets. This limit can be set by changing the [index.max_result_window] index level parameter.]; }

I don't know what to check at this point

That was a problem, but has been fixed - https://github.com/elastic/kibana/pull/5288

You need to upgrade KB.

Interesting. Don't know why 4.2.1 was used. Just updated our Ansible playbook to 4.3.1 and it immediately took me to the dashboard.

I think we're good, thanks so much for your reply.