Jira and Confluence connector issue

Hi, beautiful people. It seems that I cannot integrate out Jira and Confluence with Enterprise Search any more. Jira(Server) version 9.0.0 and Confluence(Server) 7.18.2. It feels like Atlassian has deprecated OAuth1.0 and now using OAuth2.0 only. Am I correct?
Any plans on updating Atlassian connectors?

PS. If I'm wrong, then can you point me to a appropriate documentation page?

Hi @PA3mEP ,

What version of Enterprise Search are you using? There was a bug in 8.3.x where Confluence Server and Jira Server could not be appropriately configured for OAuth 1.0, but that is fixed in 8.4.x. Could that be your issue?

Just 2 weeks ago upgraded my Elasticstack(Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstashes, Beats etc.) to version 8.4.1.

Hmm interesting. Ok, can you explain more about the issue you're having, and where you're noticing the disconnect?

We have never tested against Jira Server 9.x. I'm not confident if that will work, but am also not sure that it wouldn't.

We also haven't tested against Confluence Server 7.18.x, but we have tested against 7.13.x, and I wouldn't think Atlassian would make a breaking change in a minor version upgrade.

Well, I'm facing this issue during the configuration of Application Link between Enterprise search and Jira for example.

From Enterprise Search side. Configuration parameters are looking as follows

So Enterprise Search gives me 2 parameters "Public Key" and Customer Key. OK, that's nice.

Now in Jira Application Link configuration looks as follows

In this case I assume that it must be a Incoming Application Link
Next step in wizard looks as follows

Where redirect URL is URL of Enterprise search, I think. And on a final step

Jira gives me Client ID and secret. Which is weird, what do I do with them?

And ok, Let's assume that it must be Outgoing type of Application Link. Then Configuration dialog looks as follows

Here I don't understand where to get these parameters like ClientID, ClientSecret etc.

Thanks @PA3mEP , this is helpful.

I was able to find that Jira Server 8.22 is where they added support for OAuth2 Application Links: Jira Software 8.22.x release notes | Atlassian Support | Atlassian Documentation

However, I wasn't able to find any release notes saying that they removed support for OAuth1, and reading the current docs here: Link to other applications | Administering Jira applications Data Center and Server 9.2 | Atlassian Documentation

It seems that they have put OAuth1 under Atlassian product as the link type. Can you give that a try?

1 Like

Maaan, you are a genius. That was it. Hell, Atlassian, what were they thinking? First of all indeed you have to select Atlassian Product, but then you provide an URL of Enterprise search and then Wizard MUST fail, and then it will show that old style from where you can configure OAUTH1 Application link. Cheeeezzz.
Thanks, man, I appreciate the help. I wish I was that smart... :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, wanted to add few things.

1. About that form in the Application Link configuration where you paste URL of Enterprise Search. That form MUST fail twice, and only then it will show the form we are looking for.
  2. Same goes for Confluence as well.

Got my Application Links configured and working perfectly :+1:

Glad to hear it! Don't hesitate to submit support or community posts to Atlassian to share feedback to them that you have on this flow.

I'll make a note that we may want to update our docs so that the next person doesn't have to guess at this flow with the newer versions of Atlassian's "Server" projects. There's very little chance that Workplace Search will be updated to work with the OAuth2 flows of Atlassian's "Server" projects, as they are trying to phase out those server products, so it's probably not worth our investment.

Thanks again for raising this, and I'm glad you got it working!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.