Journalbeat Dashboards Fail

Using journalbeat 7.4.2 and ELK 7.4.2. Enabled kibana dashboards in journalbeat.yml: setup.dashboards.enabled: true

sudo journalbeat -c /etc/journalbeat/journalbeat.yml setup
ILM policy and write alias loading not enabled.
Index setup finished.
Loading dashboards (Kibana must be running and reachable)
Loaded dashboards

However, there are no dashboards and even after creating a "journalbeat-*" kibana index, the following message is displayed when selecting dashboards:

"In order to visualize and explore data in Kibana, you'll need to create an index pattern to retrieve data from Elasticsearch."

Why? Did I miss something in getting started? https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/journalbeat/7.4/journalbeat-getting-started.html

Hi. Although it's possible to load the Journalbeat dashboard, it's broken, so we don't recommend loading it (that's why the official documentation doesn't mention dashboard loading). You can follow the problem in GitHub at https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues/11751.

Thank you for the information although it would have been great to have a heads up in the documentation or journalbeat rather than BOTH remaining silent. Just 5 words stating "The dashboards do not work" would have saved me, and most likely others, an hour of time experimenting as to why it does not work especially after the command to load the dashboards returned "Loaded dashboards." I usually interpret a response such as that to indicate success and not "Go Google Github to see if the message is true or false because there may be bug associated with the operation."

Hi. I agree. This is very confusing. I'll update the docs to clarify.

Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry for the time you've spent figuring this out.

For experimental features, I would suggest searching GitHub issues when you run into problems. We try to keep the documentation up-to-date, but sometimes issues like this fall through the cracks.

Thanks!
DeDe

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.