JVMs tab empty for most services

Kibana version: 7.10.1

Elasticsearch version: 7.10.1

APM Server version: 7.10.1

APM Agent language and version: 1.26

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

JVMs tab empty for most springboot services when autodiscovery is used

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run my java application with the -javaagent parameter set
  2. Metrics reach APM as expected and viewable in Kibana
  3. JVM tab is blank with the text "No JVMs were found" displayed
  4. JVM details appear to be bunched under a service called JarLauncher..

I am aware there is a caveat related to JVM metrics as detailed here...

Is this the reason why the JVMs tab is empty for most of our services?

If so when will this be addressed? "Future versions of the Elastic APM stack will have better support for that scenario"

Hi @coynef,

The newest versions of Elastic APM certainly have gone better, and the support for the JVM is there. So my first question to you is if there is a reason why you're running an older release of Elastic APM? The current version of the stable software is 7.15.2.

If you can, please update your APM server and agent for the latest release to eliminate any possible bugs that might have existed in the past. Also, could you share the -D properties used with the JVM during the instrumentation?

Thanks,

@riferrei

Yes

Also yes! Better support for metrics in multi-services environments · Issue #2230 · elastic/apm-agent-java · GitHub describes how we are addressing that. The latest agent version (1.27.0) already contains the agent part. The APM Server part is done as well, but will be released with 8.0, so please make sure to test that once it's available and let us know how it works.

Hi @Eyal_Koren and @riferrei

Thanks for the quick replies. A separate team manages our ELK Cluster so I will find out when they are moving to the latest version.

I will also try the latest agent 1.27.0

Any idea roughly when 8.0 is due to be released?

Kind regards,
Fearghal

I will also try the latest agent 1.27.0

It's always a good idea to upgrade to the latest version, however this alone won't be enough as it is missing the APM Server part of using the service name sent within the metricsets to override the generic one.

Any idea roughly when 8.0 is due to be released?

Probably not very long before it does. If you are following anything related to Elastic it will be hard to miss :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Eyal_Koren

When you say "not very long before it does" is that days, weeks, months? :slight_smile:

@Eyal_Koren ??? :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late response :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, there are no concrete release dates to share, however it's more a matter of months than weeks until GA.

ok. Thanks!

I also want to participate

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.