Kibana 5.0.0: _missing_ is not working anymore

Hi,

When using Kibana 4.6 I used _missing_:@somefield to find documents with an empty value in @somefield. In Kibana 5.0.0 this doesn't work anymore. I can't find anywhere that this was changed or how to search for emty (keyword-)fields.
What is the proper way to do it now?

Also, in Kibana 4.6, visualizations on this field suppressed documents with an empty value in @somefield, so no empty buckets were shown on a vertical bar chart.
In Kibana 5.0.0 they show up in the visualization and I can find no way to suppress them again, meaning that my visualizations from 4.6 are different after upgrading to 5.0.

Is this changed standard behaviour?

Thanks,

Marten

Hi Marten,

NOT _exists_:@somefield

Unfortunately, I don't see where the removal of _missing_ is documented, but I do see in the Elasticsearch Query String Syntax documentation, Query string query | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic, that the _missing_ filter is documented for ES 2.x, but not for 5.0.

Seems like the removal should be documented here, but it isn't: Search and Query DSL changes | Elasticsearch Guide [5.0] | Elastic

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately your suggestion doesn't give the desired results also.
NOT _exists_@somefield returns documents which don't have the field.
I'm looking for a solution to search for documents which have the field but where the field is empty.

I've searched al breaking changes documents also but, like you, I couldn't find any documentation on this. Btw, _exists_ is also removed from the documentation.

The second part of my question however is a much bigger problem to me.
I thought it was standard for Kibana to suppress empty buckets in visualizations, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
I have empty entries in my bar charts, in my tables etc.
Again, I can't find any documentation on this.

Marten

Search for "_exists_" on Query string query | Elasticsearch Guide [8.11] | Elastic

• where the field title has any non-null value:
    _exists_:title

An empty string value is still a value, so to achieve what you want, those fields need to have an actual null value, or just be not present in the document.

If it's going to be a huge pain to re-index the data, you could try updating the fields using a script, or using scripted field with some logic that give a null if the original field is an empty string.

See Painless scripting language | Elasticsearch Guide [master] | Elastic

Sorry, my bad.
Completely overlooked it.

I'll do some more testing.
One index comes from SQL (with nulls), the other one from .csv
That's probably the reason.

Thanks Tim, this helped me a lot.