Kibana 6.5.1 won't start up after enabling xpack security in elasticsearch

Hi

I installed the Elasticsearch 6.5.1 trial platinum version because I want to use the X-Pack security functionality.

By default this is what I receive when running // GET /_xpack/

"security" : {
      "description" : "Security for the Elastic Stack",
      "available" : true,
      "enabled" : false
    }

To enable security, I add // xpack.security.enabled: true
to elasticsearch.yml

However, after doing this Kibana refuses to load.

[warning][license][xpack]
License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [monitoring] cluster. [security_exception] missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm="security" charset="UTF-8"" } } :: {
"path":"/_xpack",
"statusCode":401,
"response":"{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"security_exception","reason":"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}}],"type":"security_exception","reason":"missing authentication token for REST request [/_xpack]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}},"status":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm="security" charset="UTF-8""}

Am I missing something? Is this not possible with the trial license?

Thank you for the answer!

Hi,

Now that you enabled security, you need to configure Kibana to authenticate to elasticsearch. The steps to do so are outlined in our documentation

Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I've been going through the documentation quite thoroughly but for some reason have missed that.

Cheers!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.