Xpack enabled elasticsearch master node authentication error in kibana

Elasticsearch and Kibana ( 6.3.2 ) installed . Xpack is enabled. (ELK and Xpack in ( 10.100.234.241))

Working well . ( In kibana.yml username passwords entered . Authentication success . elastic:changeme )

For a cluster creation I am added two lines in elasticsearch.yml . This ES is master node.

node.master: true
node.data: false

Then kibana showing error message

[warning][license][xpack] License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [elastic], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm="security" charset="UTF-8"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"security_exception","reason":"failed to authenticate user [elastic]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}}],"type":"security_exception","reason":"failed to authenticate user [elastic]","header":{"WWW-Authenticate":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}},"status":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm="security" charset="UTF-8""}

If i am disabling new lines by # in ES
#node.master: true
#node.data: false

Then error will go . And ES and Kibana works well .

How it is happening?

I am runninng one another machine for ES as data node ( 10.100.234.240)

Please provide your Elasticsearch logs.

As best I can tell, your data node is not actually connected to your cluster, so when you disabled the "data" role on your master node, you no longer had anywhere to store you data, and your cluster turned red

A cluster with 1 master-only node, and 1 dats-only node is very strange. What are you trying to achieve?

ES Master node log:

at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:935) [netty-transport-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final]
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:134) [netty-transport-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:645) [netty-transport-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysPlain(NioEventLoop.java:545) [netty-transport-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:499) [netty-transport-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:459) [netty-transport-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$5.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:858) [netty-common-4.1.16.Final.jar:4.1.16.Final] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_161]

[2018-08-28T13:19:55,481][INFO ][o.e.x.s.a.AuthenticationService] [Redhat] Authentication of [elastic] was terminated by realm [reserved] - failed to authenticate user [elastic]

We need a bit more of the log than that. Look for anything marked as [ERROR] or [WARN ].

1 Like

Hi @TimV Thank you .. Actually your reply in one another discussion is helped me to solve this issue.

[ X-Pack Authentication issue - #8 by TimV

Option 3: Delete all security data ]

As per your suggestion I am Deleted all Indexes and indexed one more time . I think the security indexes are cleared. Now cluster is working together .

Shards and replicas are created.

Now I recognized my fault.

I am indexed the the data in to elasticsearch nodes. That time they are not in a cluster. Just two different machines. Because of that no replicas are created.

When I am connected each other .. they cant connect with out replicas and with old security index.
Then I am deleted whole index . And indexed doc one more time to fresh cluster. Then its worked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.