Failed to authenticate user when starting kibana service

My Kibana version 7.5.1 and it seems that x-pack is a default setting.

I added the configuration following in elasticsearch.yml:

xpack.security.enabled: true
xpack.security.transport.ssl.enabled: true

In kibana.yml

elasticsearch.username: "elastic"
elasticsearch.password: "pass"
xpack.security.sessionTimeout: 600000

When I started the kibana service and checked the status:

Jan 14 19:15:27 node kibana[7744]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-01-14T11:15:27Z","tags":["warning","legacy-plugins"],"pid":7744,"path":"/usr/share/kibana/src/legacy/core_plugins/visualizations","message":"Skipping non-plugin directory at /usr/share/kibana/src/legacy/core_plugins/visualizations"}
Jan 14 19:15:27 node kibana[7744]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-01-14T11:15:27Z","tags":["warning","plugins","licensing"],"pid":7744,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [elastic], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } } :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":401,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"failed to authenticate user [elastic]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}}],\"type\":\"security_exception\",\"reason\":\"failed to authenticate user [elastic]\",\"header\":{\"WWW-Authenticate\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}},\"status\":401}","wwwAuthenticateDirective":"Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\""}"}
Jan 14 19:15:27 node kibana[7744]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-01-14T11:15:27Z","tags":["info","plugins-system"],"pid":7744,"message":"Starting [8] plugins: [timelion,features,code,security,licensing,spaces,translations,data]"}
Jan 14 19:15:27 node kibana[7744]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2020-01-14T11:15:27Z","tags":["warning","migrations"],"pid":7744,"message":"Unable to connect to Elasticsearch. Error: [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [elastic], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate="Basic realm=\"security\" charset=\"UTF-8\"" } }"}

When I accessed http://node:5601 from the browser, It also showed Kibana server is not ready yet.

In http://node:9200, It popped up an authentification required, but when I typed the user name: elastic; password: pass as I set on the kibana.yml. It still can't log in.

How can I make my kibana service start with login page?

Hi @Tennis
I'm sorry for the very late reply, was you able to solve the issue by your own?
If so, it will be great if you can post the solution there, if not I'm more then happy to help you on this

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.