Kibana and Elasticsearch not communicating with each other

Elasticsearch and Kibana are running on different VMs. I have tried about every setting in each of them to get them to communicate. Each are version 7.3. When I test Kibana I get the message Kibana not ready yet. Not sure what else to do. They can ping each other's host so logically the two hosts are connected on the same subnet.

sharing your configuration and your logfiles for each service should help a lot.

--Alex

Elasticsearch configuration:
cluster.name: nsm-cluster
node.name: nsm-node1
network.host: 172.xx.0.20x
Set a custom port for HTTP:
http.port: 9200

When I use this curl connection to Elasticsearch host fails; whether it is with localhost or the host address. After restarting elasticsearch service I got the following status:
netadmin@esserver1:~ sudo service elasticsearch status ● elasticsearch.service - Elasticsearch Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/elasticsearch.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-08-07 20:43:39 CDT; 6min ago Docs: http://www.elastic.co Process: 5688 ExecStart=/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/elasticsearch -p {PID_DIR}/elasticsearch.pid --quiet (code=exited, status=78)
Main PID: 5688 (code=exited, status=78)

Aug 07 20:43:23 esserver1 systemd[1]: Started Elasticsearch.
Aug 07 20:43:25 esserver1 elasticsearch[5688]: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
Aug 07 20:43:39 esserver1 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=78/n/a
Aug 07 20:43:39 esserver1 systemd[1]: elasticsearch.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Kibana configuration:

server.basePath or require that they are rewritten by your reverse proxy.

netadmin@kbserver1:~$ sudo service kibana status
● kibana.service - Kibana
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/kibana.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2019-08-07 20:47:51 CDT; 27s ago
Main PID: 6591 (node)
Tasks: 21 (limit: 2311)
CGroup: /system.slice/kibana.service
└─6591 /usr/share/kibana/bin/../node/bin/node --no-warnings --max-http-header-size=65536 /usr/share/kibana/bin/../src/cli -c /etc/kibana/kibana.yml

Aug 07 20:47:51 kbserver1 systemd[1]: Started Kibana.
Aug 07 20:47:52 kbserver1 kibana[6591]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-08-08T01:47:52Z","tags":["info","plugins-system"],"pid":6591,"message":"Setting up [1] plugins: [translations]"}
Aug 07 20:47:52 kbserver1 kibana[6591]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-08-08T01:47:52Z","tags":["info","plugins","translations"],"pid":6591,"message":"Setting up plugin"}
Aug 07 20:47:52 kbserver1 kibana[6591]: {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-08-08T01:47:52Z","tags":["info","plugins-system"],"pid":6591,"message":"Starting [1] plugins: [translations]"}

server.host: "172.x0.0.20x"
server.name: "kbserver1"

The URLs of the Elasticsearch instances to use for all your queries.

elasticsearch.hosts: "http://172.20.0.204:9200"

it seems that elasticsearch stops after starting up, can you check the elasticsearch logs in /var/log/elasticsearch for more information?

I could not get to the elasticsearch logs using my regular admin user. I am using Ubuntu. Could part of my problem be that I did not install elasticsearch using the user elasticsearch user that was created when installing elasticsearch?

I can setup sudoers to handle elasticsearch user but I don't want to break more than what already seems broken. Or even chown the log folder to my regular user.

Please advice.

my advice was in the previous post. Having and looking at the logs is the number one thing do to and indispensable, otherwise you are just guessing what is wrong, which likely means more try and error.

But how do I get to the logs if my regular user does not have permission to see them. I set the user elasticsearch to a password I know. I logged in as user elasticsearch but still could not get to logs. Something is seriously wrong.

if you were able to install elasticsearch using a package, you must have had root rights. If not, talk to your system administrator and try to solve the problem together and get that kind of data?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.