Kibana barchart mandatory order by limits the use of min_doc_count

Hello,

I'd like to create a bar chart in Kibana, bucketing with a terms aggregation and then using as metrics the average of a field X, but I'd like to filter this only for the buckets with at least 100 items, i.e., I want the average of X, sorted by X for all the buckets with at least 100 items.

To achieve the filtering, I'm using JSON input field in the buckets configuration, adding the following:

{"min_doc_count": 100}

However, since the order by is a mandatory field in the buckets configuration, I ended up generating the following query:

{ "aggs": { "2": { "terms": { "field": "city", "size": 5, "order": { "1": "desc" }, "min_doc_count": 100 }, "aggs": { "1": { "avg": { "field": "reviews.rating" } } } } },

but like this, I believe that what ES is doing is first the sorting and then trimming the first 5 results by the min_doc_count, whereas what i'd like to have is to first trim the results by min_doc_count and then sort to get the first 5.

** Example use case**

Suppose that I have a dataset of item reviews, with a category field and a rating field. I would like to create a bar chart showing the top 10 categories in terms of average review rating, but I don't want a category with only a few reviews to show up first, so I'd want to filter for cities having at least 100 reviews.

Thanks
Marco

From my experiments, it looks like the min_doc_count is applying first before the sorting. Do you have an example that suggests otherwise?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.