Kibana IFrame - Limit Data Searchable

Very new to ELK so excuse if this is a stupid question. basically I have a number of indexes in elastic and I want to display kibana dashboards in a iFrame. I want the dashboards to be dynamic and allow the user to search data but I want to place limits on that search

I.e. with the sample Airline delay data that ELK provides I want to limit the search to a specific airline company rather than let the user search over all companies

Can this be done and if so how?

Hello,

There are no stupid questions :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don't see a straight-forward way of doing this. If your user was on Kibana - we could have used fls/dls in security to achieve this. But iFrames will probably limit how to do it.

@Larry_Gregory do you have any inputs here please?

Thanks,
Bhavya

I agree, using document level security is the way to go here, but imbedding into an iframe certainly complicates matters.

If you don't want your users to have to authenticate, you can place a reverse-proxy such as nginx in front of Kibana, and have nginx supply the Authorization header of a fixed user account with document level security applied. Here's an example of such a configuration: Auto-authenticating to iframe-embedded Kibana dashboard

Otherwise, the iframes will end up rendering a login screen the first time, asking users to authenticate first. Once authenticated, you can have the same DLS rules applied.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.