Kibana Importing

So I exported a few Kibana objects (Saved Search, Visualizations, Dashboard) and then I imported the objects in a different ELK system. After exporting, I tried searching for all the Objects in the Kibana Settings Object tab. I could not find any. SO I decided to use the URL to the Dashboard, and the Dashbaord was working perfectly fine. So I thought this might be because I need to refresh the fields in the .kibana index. I have not found a way to create an index pattern out of my .kibana index in Kibana, since when I try I get no time field name option and therefore cannot create the .kibana index pattern in Kibana. Any suggestions, TIA.

Chris,

I don't understand why you would have to refresh the fields on your .kibana index.

The internal objects that kibana creates, and are exported/imported from the Saved Objects section are dependent on the structure of your kibana index pattern, which is itself based upon the structure in the indexes that it referenced. Are there any discrepancies between the data that the two ELK installations use?

The reason I though I would have to refresh is the fields is because I was thinking similarly to when you have a dynamic template in ES and you get new fields, and when you check in Kibana, their types are unknown. But that was just a guess that doing the same thing might somehow refresh the .kibana index fields because of the newly added objects (fields). Both installations are the same version but there a a few minor discrepancies, like shield configurations and such. I am not sure why the Objects do not appear in the Object Settings tab in Kibana, though the Objects are up and running and working fine in actuality.

What version of Kibana are you using? Do you have access to the Dev Tools app? Or can you use curl to query your .kibana instance?

You said that you are able to bring up the imported object in the target Kibana instance, but it doesn't show up in the Saved Objects browser, correct?

Can you try this:

1. In Dev Tools, get the structure of the saved object, ie: GET /.kibana/visualization/your-id-here
  2. Recreate the visualization and save it as a different id, and then get that as well.
  3. Post the json both objects here so we can look for any weirdness. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.