Kibana Newbie can find data under 'console', not under 'discover'

I am playing around with Kibana for the first time after my first elasticsearch training. I start up locust to dump some randomly generated data into elasticsearch via the rest api and then I wanted to visualise it in real time. The weird thing is that it seems like I can query for data via the 'console' tab but nowhere else. For example, take this query;

GET /ping/single/_search
{
  "query" : {
    "match_all": {}
  }
}

This yields results;

{
  "took": 1,
  "timed_out": false,
  "_shards": {
    "total": 5,
    "successful": 5,
    "failed": 0
  },
  "hits": {
    "total": 202,
    "max_score": 1,
    "hits": [
      {
        "_index": "ping",
        "_type": "single",
        "_id": "AVokuwFnEMlBU3BPizDp",
        "_score": 1,
        "_source": {
          "ts": "2017-02-09T22:15:19.779062",
          "val": 0.053606971838083384,
          "cs": 5.4685131140092285,
          "uid": "c"
        }
      }

We can see a timestamp with time 22:15 in it. Next, I'll be looking at the discover tab in kibana to discover that it cannot find any results what-so-ever. Note that I am looking 5 hours back and the time of running was 22:48 on the same date.

The visualisations also do not work and I am wondering why. I have added the data to the index pattern.

What am I missing?

I am running ELS version: 5.1.1 that came with the developer tutorial of elasticsearch.

I've later added much more data. The initial blob was about 200 items and later I've sent it about 2200 more. After doing that and waiting 5 minutes I now do see data appear in kibana. Can this explain what I am seeing?

Hi Vincent,

Could it be that your timestamp was just a slight bit in the future?

I get this;

$ TZ='UTC' date
Thu Feb  9 22:33:58 GMT 2017

And you're post was about 42 minutes ago. So it seems like that timestamp might have been in the future.
If you're loading data with a current timestamp into Elasticsearch that's running on the same machine this shouldn't happen, I think...

If you click on your Timepicker and select Absolute, you can extend your time span into the future also.

How is the timestamp being set by locust?

Regards,
Lee

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.