Kibana plugin for event timelining

Hi,

I am new to Kibana. My goal is to create a plugin for Dicover tab which would essentially be a button to add the particular event to a timeline and eventually displaying it over a timeline. The goal here is to create user stories.

Is there any way I can add a button to a discover tab to do that?
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, you can inject your own controls from a plugin, in the top navigation of Discover, using navbarExtensions. This allows you to add your own interface and controls, which you could use to show a form and create records in Elasticsearch, which would then appear in the documents and count chart shown in Discover as well.

You can read more about how that works in this discuss thread.

I am able to create the button. My problem is I don't know how can I get the query results to be displayed in a different browser when I click on the button. Could you point me to the interface which gets the results?

You mean opening the result in a new window/tab? You can do that with javascript, or with a target attribute if you're using an a tag. I suspect this isn't what you mean though... can you describe what you want to happen?

When a user queries in Kibana a series of events are displayed. My goal is to add a check box across every event. Add when user selects the check box and clicks on a button say "x", the event in the same format (with table and Json data) gets opened in a new page. Basically my goal is to add the events to a particular bucket and display them across a timeline to create some sort of user stories to analyze the connection between the events.

When a user queries in Kibana a series of events are displayed. My goal is to add a check box across every event.

OK, then ignore what I told you before. A navbar extension isn't what you want, since you want a control that knows about documents in elasticsearch.

This will require a custom visualization, as you'll need to show the table data with your own control injected. We don't have a way of injecting controls into the existing table, so you'll have to roll your own.

You could probably also get away with a hack of some kind, and basically just inject the checkbox when the table renders, and call off to some API (again, an app) when it's checked or unchecked. A lot of folks want to remove hack entirely though, so I'm not sure I'd recommend relying on them long term.

Add when user selects the check box and clicks on a button say "x", the event in the same format (with table and Json data) gets opened in a new page.

You can do this today, using a custom field formatter. However, you'll also have to write a, I think, a custom app. Otherwise, I'm not sure where else you'd send the user that would make sense, and give them more controls.

In fact, this whole thing should probably be a custom app, not something you shoehorn into Discover. You can probably do that, but it's more work, and would be less flexible. I think you could even reuse most of the components that Discover uses.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.