Kibana plugin to select a subset of search results displayed as a result of passing a query to search bar in the Discover tab and then displaying the selected results in another window

I have a use-case in KIbana to develop that allows a user to select a subset of search results displayed as a result of passing a query to search bar in the Discover tab and then displaying the selected results in another window.

To implement this I thought of doing something like:

1. Add a button/icon on the navbar to allow opening of a new kibana window when clicked. This I am able to do with the help of navbarExtensions, as explained here Dev on Kibana plugin: navbar icon disappear when switching tabs .

2. Have a checkbox appear in the Discover tab results section with each document result using which I can select a subset of results and pass their document id's to open another window of Kibana when the user clicks the icon/button on the navbar.

Currently, I am not able to find a way to do step 2. So I have following questions regarding it.

1. Is it even possible to include something like a checkbox to the Discover UI programmatically?
  2. If yes, what a the ways to do it? Plugin or API? Is there a document or any link where I can more about it?

Hi @Surabhi_Lodha,

If you develop a plugin, you won't be able to change the UI of other plugins, except for some predefined extension points (such as navbar).

So adding a checkbox to the documents-listing in Discover, is not something you'd be able to do from a 3rd party plugin.

What you're looking at IMHO is a new feature. I'd consider adding a new feature request for Kibana. https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/new first. It will also get you feedback from some of the maintainers, who are more knowledgeable about Discover and will better understand the effort involved.

Thank you for your response.
I understand what you are saying. So is it possible to get the json data in a new browser in order to display it in customised format

You can always get to the raw JSON request/response by expanding the little grey arrow on the Discover page under the histogram. I has options to show both the original request and response of the query.

You can use that to display the results in a separate page.

Thx,

Thank you Thomas.
Worked for me.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.